Problem.....Egg shell stuck to chicks head???

Jessiewoodard57

Songster
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Bushnell, FL.
I noticed one of the chicks that pipped out 12 hours ago had not exited the shell yet.
I attempted to see if it was still alive and when I tugged at the top of the shell I almost lifted the chick out of the shell. Its head has stuck to the top of the shell.(yes the chick peeped loudly in protest) Now what do I do???
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
humm, that's a tough one, how much pipped are we talking? It sounds like it may have shrink wrapped..do you have other eggs in the bator? Should try and keep the bator closed until they've hatched, at least your little one has it opened enough to breath..a good thing.

It pipped a complete circle. I have been removing chicks every 8 hours openning the bator long enough the remove the hatched chicks then closing it up. I read you can dehydrate the chicks if you leave them in to long and the book suggested removing the hatched chicks every 8 hours?

it sounds like the humiduty was to low and the membren dryd before the chick could get out . you will have to pill it off the chick and he sould servive . the humiduty should be about 65% dering hach hope this helps:/

chick died looked like it was not totally formed. It had large sac attached to its vent. lost one other pipped almost a full circle then ran out of gas.
sad.png

On a positive note my cochins have started hatching.

Btw the humidity has been right on 65% so I can rule that out.

Last edited:
it sounds like the humiduty was to low and the membren dryd before the chick could get out . you will have to pill it off the chick and he sould servive . the humiduty should be about 65% dering hach hope this helps

Update......the chick I thought was dying supprised me and has recovered. I found that this chick, as well as 3 others, had to be assisted due to the membrains drying out. I did not heed the advice of the gentlemen that I had bought my cochins eggs from. He warned me that once I reach lock down I should disconnect the fan because once pipped the fan starts to dry the membrain effectivily shrink wrapping the chick. I was too late to save one of the Silver laced Cochins, but I did save the 3 others .

BTW the humidity has stayed at 65-72% so low humidity has not been the issue. Lesson learned: NEXT time I will listen to someone that knows a whole lot more about hatching chicks than I do!

Last edited:
Quote:
Update......the chick I thought was dying supprised me and has recovered. I found that this chick, as well as 3 others, had to be assisted due to the membrains drying out. I did not heed the advice of the gentlemen that I had bought my cochins eggs from. He warned me that once I reach lock down I should disconnect the fan because once pipped the fan starts to dry the membrain effectivily shrink wrapping the chick. I was too late to save one of the Silver laced Cochins, but I did save the 3 others .

BTW the humidity has stayed at 65-72% so low humidity has not been the issue. Lesson learned: NEXT time I will listen to someone that knows a whole lot more about hatching chicks than I do!

clap.gif
thumbsup.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom