1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Problem in the flock inevitable?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MissionBantam, Oct 6, 2015.

1. MissionBantam

MissionBantam Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2015
    Australia
    Hi there, so- i'll just cut to the chase i have 2 ducks and a pekin bantam hen free ranging in the same quarters. When their put away at night they aren't together, but i've been reading how bad it is if a duck tries to mate with a hen, and i have a drake- so thats where my worry rests. I will soon be getting a second hen to accompany my chicken, but they will still free range at the same time, My drake used to attempt to mate with my female duck quite often, but recently she hurt her leg and we had to separate them for a while, now we haven't seen him doing it since- but I'm just wondering if he may release sexual frustration on my hens?

thanks for reading and helping, have an awesome day! :)

2. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    It certainly can be a problem, but all drakes are individuals. If you don't see any missing feathers, raw patches or other signs of breeding on the hens then they should be safe.

Best of luck finding another hen! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by