Problem male duck.....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ashlee87, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Ashlee87

Ashlee87 New Egg

Aug 7, 2016
    I have a male Pekin that has drown two of females so far. I do not know why ..any feedback on why or how to prevent would be greatly appreciated. .

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    X2 on what NFC advised. Good luck to you!

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! But am very sorry about your ducks! I don't much about ducks, but I would check out the duck forum like the above advised! I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Was he trying to breed them? Often ducks mate in water and his clumsy attempts may have caused drowning. Is he still young or is he an adult? I think I would be very careful of him around hens if this is the case or remove him as your breeder drake.

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Ashlee87 [​IMG] Welcome!

Wow, I am sorry to hear about your loss; I had no idea that was possible and hope you are able to find a cause and put a stop to it.

I also hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Dekel I would keep your drake away from your hens. Drowning usually happens when you have more than one drake and they will "gang up" on the hens which causes them to drown under their weight. With your drake it may be more than that, he is over asserting his dominance. I think he would due best in a soup pot.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by