Problem with cat solved.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by koifarm, Oct 1, 2009.

1. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one grey cat who still has visions of catching a hen and eating her.
    I watched him last night, stalking a hen and shooed him away, only to see him chase another one across the back yard, of course she was faster but it still ticked me off enough that I had to do something.
    Here's what I did.
    When I put the girls in the coop for the night, I've got 18 in a fairly snug coop, I put the cat in with them for the night. I stood there listening for a bit and the ladies were giving him hell it sounded like, they could get off the floor on perches which the cat could not reach so I wasn't concerned about them.
    This morning, when I opened up the coop, the cat was cowering in the corner behind some hay and as soon as he saw the door cracked, leaped with the speed of a bullet out, ran across the yard at full speed and disappeared under the barn....I still haven't seen him.
    somehow I think I won't have that problem again. Oh, there was no blood anywhere and not a mark on the hens but the cat's fur was ruffled up and soiled.

Just call me the "cat whisperer" [​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
  3. Tweeza

Tweeza Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2008
    New England
    Oh poor kitty!! but lesson learned (and good) stay home where it's safe! Hopefully he's a smart one.
  4. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I cured mine of killing chicks by looking him up for about 15 minutes with my EE roo. [​IMG]
    only problem now is he won't go anywhere near the coop and I am starting to notice mice. It's a no win situation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by