problem with chickens and small fish pond

dac63

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
cochranville Pa.
I have a small fish pond about 4 ft round. It is about two feet deep in the center. I have 11 chickens that I let out of the pen on a regular basis . Today I let them out at dinner time. They were out about 15 minutes when I went out to put feed in their pen. When i walked by the pond there was one of my hens in the pond. I quickly grabbed her out and brought her in the house as it is cold here in Pa. right now. She appeared to have drowned, but I thought since it was cold maybe I could revive her as it was a short time period. I did everything possible warming her vigorously rubbing and trying to clear the water out of her and you will think I am crazy but also taking a straw and blowing air down her throat. All To no avail. I feel terrible as I lost one last year in that little pond also. If I put a net over it the water plants can't grow out and the frogs will not be able to get out either. Have any of you had a problem like this and a solution. I know I should just keep the hens penned up but I have had chickens for years and never had a problem with this until last year. I hate to keep them penned up all the time. They are usually out for a while several times a week. Any ideas would be appreciated . dac63

Is there a way you might put a little fence around the pond? This might help deter them...or maybe put a pile of rocks in the center, so IF another goes in, she will be able to get out. Just a thought.

I have a small goldfish pond and have never had a problem with my hens getting in it. if you put a few stakes around the pond and drape bird netting over them it will protect the hens and allow the plants to grow. When it gets warmer plant floating water hyacynth, it will reproduce very fast and create a mat of vegetation that might keep a hen afloat if she fell in or provide her enough traction to escape.

I too have a small pond (3x 4 meters) and in between the two deep parts (5-6 ft deep) I have a very shallow part...my chickens have often been spooked and have found their way out thru this. A "flosting island" of water plants such as hyacinth is more effective when one inserts the root system through an plastic net thereby keeping it together when a bird or frog or such tries to climb onto it (use a stiffer type of plastic and not the floppy bird or fish netting)

I had this happen 2 times now, and both drowned. They were silkies, or silkie mixes-- I think that had something to do with it. They were young too.

I plan on netting my pond, or at least having rocks in the middle so if it happens again, they could get out.

Its a hard lesson to learn...
sad.png

I've had a pond for several years now and never had my chickens go IN it. I'm glad for the warning - I'm going to be more careful!
My biggest problem is them running around the perimeter trying to chase and peck the fish. Perhaps that's what yours was up to when it fell in. I think everyone else's ideas are great - the only other thing I thought of was, is your pump rising so high that it wets the banks of your pond and makes it slippery? Maybe it could be repositioned to keep the rocks dry.

I have a small pond too... only about 2'x3'... I do keep a net over it most of the time - had a run in with raccoons overnight and lost half my fish (good thing I made my hen house coon-proof!). I never thought about my chickens falling in somehow though (although after the coon attack, my hen WAS quite happy to munch the leftover fishies laying on the ground).

I actually use my daughters PVC & net soccer goal to cover mine. It fits perfect and the base works well since the back of my pond is higher than the front. For those worrying about plants... the type of netting used on soccer goals, etc works okay, depending on the plant. I have irises (the only thing neither my fish nor my snails seem to eat) and they are able to protrude through the net. Smallish frogs would be able to get through it also, though I suppose there would be the chance of them getting a leg stuck.

Anyway... thanks for the warning. I'd hate to have to learn that one first-hand!
sad.png
Sorry for your loss.

I have a small fish pond about 4 ft round. It is about two feet deep in the center. I have 11 chickens that I let out of the pen on a regular basis . Today I let them out at dinner time. They were out about 15 minutes when I went out to put feed in their pen. When i walked by the pond there was one of my hens in the pond. I quickly grabbed her out and brought her in the house as it is cold here in Pa. right now. She appeared to have drowned, but I thought since it was cold maybe I could revive her as it was a short time period. I did everything possible warming her vigorously rubbing and trying to clear the water out of her and you will think I am crazy but also taking a straw and blowing air down her throat. All To no avail. I feel terrible as I lost one last year in that little pond also. If I put a net over it the water plants can't grow out and the frogs will not be able to get out either. Have any of you had a problem like this and a solution. I know I should just keep the hens penned up but I have had chickens for years and never had a problem with this until last year. I hate to keep them penned up all the time. They are usually out for a while several times a week. Any ideas would be appreciated . dac63
Or float something in the pond so they will be able to get out. I also have a fish pond but so far mine hasn't made it to the pond. Although I do have a shelf around mine that isn't very deep on the edges. Sorry about your chicken! :(

Back
Top Bottom