Problem with chicks leg, neurological issue?

GermanKennhuhn

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Oct 10, 2015
New England
Hi folks,
One of the chicks I hatched is having problems. It can’t sit upright without being supported, and it’s legs kick out to the side. The legs look normal though. I’m not sure how long it’s been going on, because I’ve had chicks hatching in the incubator for the past three days, and didn’t notice this till now.
FEA8C694-4A5D-4F0C-846B-2922305301F3.jpeg
1D413F05-8E6B-44E8-BA8B-1C7F704E0F2D.jpeg
77AC26A9-9265-4969-B937-B76286A36F39.jpeg

I got it to eat some boiled egg, and a little vitamin water. What caused this? What is it? Is there anything I can do?
I seriously feel soo overwhelmed right now. Too many problems with my animals:he
I hope you other BYCers can help! Thanks in advance!

What I use is a narrow strip of band aid.Wrap one end of the band aid around the first leg.Look at your healthy chicks to see what a normal space between each leg looks like.Leave a similar space between the legs of the weak chick and wrap the other end of the band aid around the other leg.This will act like a support brace.Leave it on for 3 days and then remove it and see how the chick is doing.

I would guess that this is a neurological problem from hatch. You could try putting her in a padding wineglass or cup to stand up. Can she stand in the little crib that you made? Be sure and give her vitamins, especially one with ribofalvin or B complex. Feed and water her often. Many chicks who cannot stand are culled since they won’t be able to reach food and water. This is why I stopped hatching my own chicks in an incubator, since I had a couple who could not stand. I prefer to have a broody hen hatch eggs or get them from a hatchery. Good luck with your chick, and sorry for all of the problems.

Someday if you have a broody hen, you will realize how much easier it is to hatch chicks. They have to be protected for the first 2-3 days in a dog crate with the broody hen, but then when you open the gate, she does the rest.

Google splayed leg fixes. It's a common problem.
What I use is a narrow strip of band aid.Wrap one end of the band aid around the first leg.Look at your healthy chicks to see what a normal space between each leg looks like.Leave a similar space between the legs of the weak chick and wrap the other end of the band aid around the other leg.This will act like a support brace.Leave it on for 3 days and then remove it and see how the chick is doing.
Thank you both for replying! I’ll try the splay leg hobbles, but to me it kinda seemed like it couldn’t balance( stay upright). Is that normal for splay leg? Both legs kick out to the same side, and the chick keeps them straight, although they can bend.

Back
Top Bottom