Problem With Frozen Poop!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickie Mamma, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, this winter has been sooo cold here. I am having a big problem keeping the coop clean. [​IMG] Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep a coop sanitary when everything is frozen? I don't want health problems and I can't get a hose out there (frozen). The outside enclosed area is just disgusting. I am planning to build a new coop for the spring and will make it easier to clean. But until then, is there anything I can do or can I leave it alone ? Thanks..

2. jubylives

jubylives Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2007
    Central Iowa
    Frozen poo? It's been sub zero for it seems like forever and no frozen poo issues. What is causing everything to freeze? Is your coop too humid or is there a waterer leaking somewhere? I use pine shavings with a handful or two of cedar thrown in for odor control and it stays unfrozen.

jeremy

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I use pine shavings too, the outside area may get damp being it is outside, its covered though. I guess its getting too moist out there and all the poop is freezing. I usually rake out the run every week, but with the freezing temps, its all frozen..

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If it is all frozen at least no germs are thriving either. I would just throw some bedding on top of it for better footing for the chickens and wait for the big THAW !!

5. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I agree with enola- we just let it all "chill" until it gets warm enought to scrape and sanitize. I go by smell- the frozen coop is not a place where bacteria proliferate imo.

6. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    I agree with what is being said. A thick amount of bedding will help in a lot of ways.

7. FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Efland, NC
    The bedding does help. I have poop freeze in my chicken house, but I have straw under the roosts, they poop on the straw, I scrape the straw (with droppings on top) out.

8. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG] My coop floor is frozen solid. It is a big pain in the rear. I have to take out as much as I can scrape off and put new shavings down every week.

9. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I found that if I keep a good layer of shavings down and the poo just scoops right up. Frozen nuggets every morning. Some does manage to get stuck to the floor but most lays on the shavings and scoops right up. I would rather clean frozen poo than the gooey kind. [​IMG]

10. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Quote:Same here [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by