Problem with Legs

SouthernBYChickens

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
Alabama
Okay, the past couple of days I noticed that one of my hens (4.5 months old) was sitting down alot in the run while the others were moving all over the pen. Today, I watched her for a while cause I noticed her sitting down on the ground while eating some cracked corn. When she got up, she was walking carefully as if she was unbalanced or something. When she got over to some greenery, she sit down next to it to eat. She got up, got a little water then walked over and sit down. That is when I freaked out - she sit all the way down and her right leg was extended flat out on the ground in front of her, as if it was broken. But, she can still walk on it, occasionally stepping on her foot with the other foot. What the heck is wrong??
sad.png

Also, does this sound like something that warrants her being separated from the others (for their safety)?

Last edited:
I've been researching leg problems a lot lately too because I have a lame rooster, but his symptoms are different than your hen's... I'd say google Marek's and if that doesn't look right google "partial paralysis" with "poultry" to start to at least give you some ideas to start exploring.

Good luck!!

Hello! I thought our hen was attacked by a foster dog as she was wobbly and waddling. But, now I am worried it is a calcium deficiency. She is at the point of not walking. Someone has got to have the answer for this.

Okay, the past couple of days I noticed that one of my hens (4.5 months old) was sitting down alot in the run while the others were moving all over the pen. Today, I watched her for a while cause I noticed her sitting down on the ground while eating some cracked corn. When she got up, she was walking carefully as if she was unbalanced or something. When she got over to some greenery, she sit down next to it to eat. She got up, got a little water then walked over and sit down. That is when I freaked out - she sit all the way down and her right leg was extended flat out on the ground in front of her, as if it was broken. But, she can still walk on it, occasionally stepping on her foot with the other foot. What the heck is wrong??
sad.png

Also, does this sound like something that warrants her being separated from the others (for their safety)?
Updated Symptoms***

Watched her more this afternoon. She basically has little control over her legs. She wobbles and occasionally gets off balance. She allows me to easily pick her up, and has no problem with me feeling of her legs (extending and bending them). Her upper body seems fine. Like I said, she is still eating and drinking. She just sits down to do it. I decided to go ahead and house her in the garage tonight for her safety. The others seemed bothered that she was weaker and they appear to be picking on her slightly. Once I got her in the garage in a pen, I noticed that when she pooped, it looked like slimy (I did NOT touch it) clear liquid. There wasn't any substance to it. All chicken lovers - figure this out for me. Thanks to all for your input!!!
bow.gif

Okay. She has basically lost all control of her legs and her feet are turning under. She just sits there in the temporary pen I have made for her in the garage. She is still eating and drinking and the pooping is back to normal, but it appears as if she has some type of neurological issue that is affecting her legs. Has anyone had these types of issues with their chickens? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her or does it sound as if she is beyond help? Thanks for your input!!

It sounds like some type of deficiency. She is the right age to start having problems if she is being fed the same diet as older chickens. You may want to try the ricket diet and see if she doesn't improve. I copied the following rickets diet from another site and people have reported to have success with this treatment. I am also wondering how long you have had this hen and if you got her from someone else? Could she have a disease?

Feed the birds once a day for three days or until you feel the bird is looking and acting better - usually 3 weeks.

This amount feeds one bird. Each serving consists of:

½ to 1 x cooked egg yolk… crumbled into mixture
1 teaspoon of cod liver oil..
1 very small drizzle of honey
2 x tablespoons natural yoghurt - no sugar
2 to 4 tablespoons rolled oats or Baby rice
1 dessertspoon of beef tin cat food…… Not dog food
A few grains of multi vitamin powder
2 tablespoons of grated apple..
Mix to make a crumble mixture not runny, if you have to roll into pellets and force feed, and then gently massage the neck in a downward motion to get it down into the crop, then do it, the bird may be too weak to eat or have lost the desire to eat….

Always have fresh clean water available at all time for the bird and good quality food
Feed the rickets diet in the morning. Also have her ordinary feed and fresh clean water available at all times: if it has not been fully eaten with in 12 hours throw it out... make another one the next morning.. don't add to it.. clean out the dish it was in also before adding the new mixture.

I actually got her as well as 17 others from Welp Hatchery back in November. They hatched out the 16th and they were in my possession on the 18th. So, they were 3 days old when they got to me. They are in an outdoor pen and have a very safe coop. Plenty to eat and fresh water. One guy at a local feed store told me of the possibility of her being "egg-bound". He showed me how to feel her behind area to see if I could feel an egg, but I just couldn't feel one. Anyone know much about hens that are "egg-bound" ??

I actually got her as well as 17 others from Welp Hatchery back in November. They hatched out the 16th and they were in my possession on the 18th. So, they were 3 days old when they got to me. They are in an outdoor pen and have a very safe coop. Plenty to eat and fresh water. One guy at a local feed store told me of the possibility of her being "egg-bound". He showed me how to feel her behind area to see if I could feel an egg, but I just couldn't feel one. Anyone know much about hens that are "egg-bound" ??

Welp Hatchery offers Marek's vaccine for less than 20 cents a bird (I ordered a batch of birds from there last year and they've done well)- but you have to pay extra for Marek's disease vaccination. Did you have your chicks vaccinated when you bought them? If not, I'm really sorry but that sounds just like Marek's disease, is the right age frame to be displaying symptoms, and if not, I'm so sad to say that if you have one confirmed case (there is a test for it) that you should cull your entire flock because 1) it is extremely contagious (actually a form of Herpes) 2) causes paralysis and 3)causes tumors that either reduces their laying or stops their laying. Better to start over with vaccinated chicks if there's Marek's on your yard then too. I really hope you vaccinated, as you can rule this out!

I would not think a 4 month pullet to be egg-bound... most pullets just coming into laying lay small "pullet" eggs, that are often mis-shapen and/or smaller than they will lay in a few months. Egg binding usually happens in a hen who has been laying hard all season and is tired/wore-out (often shortly before moulting) or on older hens, who lay eggs less frequently, but often larger than when they were younger. An easy way to tell if a pullet is laying yet is by holding her on her back (like a baby LOL) take your fingers on your free hand and hold them out straight and together- you should be able to wedge 2 or 3 fingers between her pubic bones (you can feel them down low between her legs) and the bones should have some "flex" in them if she is laying yet. If not, you will only be able to fit 1, maybe 2 fingers in and her pubic bones will be stiff & firm. Also, a hen who is laying will have a large, moist vent/cloaeca where your pullets who are not will have a much smaller, dry vent.
Hope this helps!
Jen P & the Pack learning about chicken math...

Back
Top Bottom