Problem with neighbor chickens

FarmerPeg

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2020
Western North Carolina
Our 3 hens are in a coop and run. We live in a rural area. Our neighbor across the road has about 15 free range hens. They often come up our driveway and hang out in that area. Our large front yard has a chain link fence around it, and our three small dogs go out there. Lately his chickens, up to two at a time, somehow get in the front yard. So far we have seen them before letting the dogs out--one of these dogs attacked a member of his previous flock that got in our yard, and if we had not intervened, there is no doubt the dogs would have killed her. There is a large section of yard we cannot scan from the house before letting them out. We told him this was a problem and he said he would not blame us or hold us responsible if the dogs killed his hen. Well that's all nice, except WE are the ones who have to go gather the remains and clean up the dogs and we would prefer our dogs not kill other animals. We have removed all shrubs they could be using to get in to 6' away. We moved our riding mower (we have seen them on that) and our car back from the fence. When we chase them to get them out of the yard through a gate, they never fly over the fence, they try to go through it. The neighbor doesn't care, but I would rather not witness killing of a hen--the yard is very large, the dogs could finish a hen off before we could get to it. So, my question--sorry for being longwinded--is this: Is there anything that we can put outside the fence (mothballs, etc) to repel the chickens and keep them away from the fence? This is beyond aggravating. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Peggy

I know. Thank you for responding. We will not be changing from our standard chain link fence. We clearly care a lot more about his hens than he does, but we can't change our lives for them. We are animal lovers and it's sad. I had hoped that something would just discourage them from approaching our fence.

Hi:

Using strong-smelling plants, spices, and other scents can help deter chickens from hanging around close to your home. Chickens do not like powerful smells. Some scents are more offensive to chickens than others. Once chickens get close enough to the spice scent (and if it’s strong enough) they’ll be deterred due to irritation from the scent itself. Try Cinnamon, Paprika, Garlic, Chiles. Good Luck. Cheers!

you could rig up an electric wire, i use 3/4" pvc stakes, wire about 6-8" high and fence off my door - garage area to keep chicken poop away from walking areas .. it would be a pain to set up and maintain, got to weedeat it once a week, but it works good .. alternatively get a good pcp rifle and set it up in a window and have a box of heavy duty garbage bags onhand lol ...

My chickens are terrified when I wear a red long coat, if you can get one cheap used, you can build a scarecrow, it might help, I think the red moving thing reminds them of a fox?!

My chickens are terrified when I wear a red long coat, if you can get one cheap used, you can build a scarecrow, it might help, I think the red moving thing reminds them of a fox?!
On this note, my chickens are terrified of fishing nets. The above posters’ chickens fear red. Point being, go out there with something distinctive and chase, lunge, capture, whatever. Make an impression (and perhaps a spectacle of yourself). Then leave that item where they approach. A pole with long colorful streamers ?? will last in the wind and rain. good luck

I'm with @raingarden here. it's sad that this neighbor doesn't care enough about his birds to manage them, but it's his problem, not yours. Our dogs want to kill any critter that invades their yard, which is very well fenced to keep them in, and others out.
Do look up your local laws about animal management, in case there's something odd there, but most places it's about keeping any domestic animal on the owner's property.
Fortunately we don't have close neighbors with chickens, which would be a real concern from a biosecurity standpoint. Don't want outside chickens anywhere near ours!
You could drop off any bodies on his front porch?!
Your dogs should be able to enjoy their own yard any time!
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom