Problematic, partially bald broody hen!

I may give her some protein source too. Don't have poultry vitamins :/. In the night i put her on roost in hen house and she sleeps here all night.

I may give her some protein source too. Don't have poultry vitamins :/. In the night i put her on roost in hen house and she sleeps here all night.
Oh good, roosting at night is great!
No worries about the vitamins, but I would give her a bit of egg or other protein once a day to give her a boost.

Oh good, roosting at night is great!
No worries about the vitamins, but I would give her a bit of egg or other protein once a day to give her a boost.
is cottage cheese or yogurt okay? Idk if she'd eat that cuz she doesn't eat as good as she used to before broodying but will try.

Well there is another problem. When taking her out of the cage, roo often tries to mate her and she refuses. From time to time he attacks her. Yesterday it was in the evening and she went and waited on the roost till sleeping time. Today grandpa told me that the rooster chases her and she tries to hide on the roost. Will he stop hen she stops broodying or what should i do? (Maybe he isn't mature enough, as he often mates hens (or tries, as they often walk away when he jumps on them) without doing this dance thing?)

Last edited:
Well there is another problem. When taking her out of the cage, roo often tries to mate her and she refuses. From time to time he attacks her. Yesterday it was in the evening and she went and waited on the roost till sleeping time. Today grandpa told me that the rooster chases her and she tries to hide on the roost. Will he stop hen she stops broodying or what should i do? (Maybe he isn't mature enough, as he often mates hens (or tries, as they often walk away when he jumps on them) without doing this dance thing?)
and sometimes other hens (especially the old one) attack her but it's a rare event
How old is the rooster?

Pretty young. He was about the same age as new chickens. (broody one is an old one). Chickens startey laying some more than a month ago.

A cockerel can be a pain at times. If you need to, separate him out to give the girls a break.
as i noticed, he tries to peek the neck feathers of hens (just like he did to the broody one) but the unbroody ones just walk away and he stops but as broody is a bit disoriented she doesn't run away and she's an easy target. Maybe it's because she usually refuses to mate (even when not broody)? And i think she slowly stops broodying. She's even pecked a young hen three time today (wasn't pecking anything when started broodying), so seems like she's getting back to her normal attidute :D

Back
Top Bottom