problems at the end

pokey

Warrior Princess
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
upstate
I have the same problem at the end of my hatches over and over.the chicks pip and one or two makes it out and then the rest die.I have a hovabator.I pull the plug at hatch time. I try to keep the humid in the fifties the first18 days.sometimes it gets a little higher.on day 18 it goes into the 70's.if I don't keep it high it seem the chicks are stuck.but why do they pip and then die.I don't think they are drowning because the beak is out.

Sounds like a humidity problem, I try to keep mine at 20-30% till the 18th day & then jack it up to about 60-65%, maybe you are running the humidity a little high before lock down. a lot of times I dont run any water at all before lock down, depends on the weather, & oh yea I am in NC. not far from you, so our humidity is somewhere about the same.

I have one that appears "stuck" too.. thanks for asking this question. Pip hole as usual and something is sticking out of it.. but not a beak. I have 5 eggs still in there.. one I am sure won't hatch because it candled suspiciously (but being a newbie I put it in there anyway), 1 pipping, 2 with no visible activity and then the one with the protrusion.

I know I should be happy with my 6 chicks out and in the brooder.. but hard to watch something apparently die.

Shelly

Are you opening the bator to remove chicks or add water? The chicks will be fine for 3 days. My first hatch I opened the bator way too much and I ended up shrink wrapping the remaining chicks. I know it is hard to sit there and watch one struggle but by helping them out (which I did and it ended up not making it anyway) you could ruin your remaining hatch.

Well on this hatch 5 chicks pipped.one pipped two days early and made it 3/4 out and then died.one made it all the way out and then I got frustrated and helped the other 3 . Two died out of the three I helped.it seemed to be humid enough.but this is how it goes every time.and the eggs come from different sources.I am sooo frustrated.

you know I had kinda the same problem with an LG then I took out both plugs put a couple more holes in the top and got the humidity down to around 50% and didnt lose one chick in the last hatch I used it for before I took that little sauna in a box and used it for parts

Doesn't make sense that the chick is alive in the shell and dies like a minute after its out either.

Back
Top Bottom