Problems with Polish Black Hen.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gongusia, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Gongusia

Gongusia New Egg

Dec 25, 2012
    I had Polish chickens for over 3 years now and my black one is having a visible problem. For the last few days she would not go down from her housing area to eat, so I fed her where she was. Then she got down and since about 3 days she is folding her head way down under her breast area and just standing there. Then she walks a little raising the head, and stops again and her head goes way under. I picked her up and looked her over and noticed that her eyes are closing and twiching and her crest is getting pale, but other than that she tries to eat and drink and then her head goes way down like she is trying to stand on her head. No other chickens are picking on her.
    Does anyone have any idea what is happening? Is she having some neurological problems? Is it possible that she may have a tumor on the brain? I am totally puzzled. She is in a large enclosure with another Lace Polish, Silver Polish and Golden Polish hen and the other 3 are doing just fine. I am looking for any type of answer, because I worry about her. Thanks.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Has she lost weight...when did she last lay. Does she feel real hot to the touch or running a fever..... When was she last wormed....did you check her topknot for mites....they often can get th so bad in there that they become anemic...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by