Problems with wolves

Michael Mellen

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Florida
This morning two wolves were trying to get into my turkey pen. By the time I got my gun, they were gone. I can see where they were working at one end of the pen trying to get in. I hate to have to shoot them, they are such beautiful animals; but I have so much invested in my turkeys and I am not about to feed the neighbors animals of my prized birds. This is so frustrating.

My neighbor knows they got out, and she cannot catch them. Animal control had been called, but they are still running loose. They have got some of my neighbor's chickens this past week. I do not know what else to do other than to shoot the animals if I see them again.

To anyone else who free-ranges their birds, how much of a problem do you have with predators? Do you have any tactics that you use to prevent them from becoming a feast to predators? My birds are now 14 weeks old, healthy and have personalities of their own. I had thought about letting them out to free range during the day, but I believe I have changed my mind after this incident. I don't want anything to happen to my flock.........

Last edited:
Better have your gun ready! I lost three guineas to coyotes ,these predators are ruthless,if you have other livestock they will prey on them too, I understand you don't want to make your neighbors mad but sometimes one must protect our livestock whether it be a predator or another pet or whatever the case may be!

while it's not my neighbors wolves - i do have issues with all of my neighbors cats and my chickens... i've thought about trapping them, but haven't done that yet. IF my neighbor did have wolves (it sounds like that is your case) and his/her wolves got loose and were coming after my flock - i'd shoot them too.

Thank you all for the reply. I hate to shoot them, they are beautiful animals but when it comes to my turkeys, I will kill them no matter what with no regrets! I had been trying to contact animal control this morning without success to ask if they have any way to trap the animals, they are already aware of the problem because of other complaints. I would much rather trap them if possible then to kill them though I am not sure if the animal control can handle this issue or not. From what I have heard about wolves, they are serious predators that will decimate live stock, local wildlife, and even a danger to other dogs and cats.

Thank you all for the replies.......

I had two dogs eaten by wolves a year apart.

If these are domesticated wolf dogs then the owner most likely got in over their heads.
I know of people that just had to have a wolf dog.
After owning one I don't think they would get another.
Trouble, trouble, trouble.
But it seemed the cool thing at the time.

Now they would have to pay the price.
Civil claim for damages, or a dead wolf dog are your only options.

I found out that they have killed several fawns and cats already. I was told that they are responsible for any loss of livestock and any other damage that they may cause, but I don't want to lose any no matter what. If they come back, I will kill them. Seems like there isn't much animal control can do.

The woman that owned them is in her 80s, and she certainly couldn't take care of them the way they needed to be taken care of! They got away from her and no one seems able to catch them. I imagine the wolves have already cost her dearly.

Last edited:
I know this thread is getting on in age . . .but investing in electric fencing is worth it. I live with the predators with few problems. THe coyote cruise thru regularly but keep on going as they can't get to anything. THe hawks take a bird now and then. A fox tried, but we scared the begeeses out of him chasing him like screaming banchees-- he's not been back.

Guard dogs are valueable deterents too.

We have chosen to not shoot anything or trap anything; we use deterents and accept a few losses over the years.

Thank you for the reply. There is actually a happy ending to this story!

My brother who has the chickens and I invested in a hog trap. Everything that I have read said that you can't trap wolves without hurting the animals. But with the cooperation of the wolves owner, we were able to trap both of them safely without injuring them.

She had an electric fence around the perimeter to keep them in. We have not had any problems since. Our neighbor is happy and we are too because our livestock is safe once again. I love happy endings!

Back
Top Bottom