Processed our 6 Meaties..Pic heavy *Graphic* Update:DINNER!

Another inked BYCer I see. I paid alot for my first round of cornish Xs and came out to about 3.00$ a bird. Nice pictures youve got and it looks like your birds had some good size. Nothing that hasnt already been said I know. I do enjoy the pics for comparison to how I do it.

@ Noymira

Just do it. I read the threads here watched a couple youtube vids and went to the yard with a knife. Easier than you might think.

Quote:
marflag5.gif

Semper Fi.

-Jessa

Love this post, I am sitting in bed drinking my coffe getting ready to go process 8 meaties. Not looking forward to it at all, but I am loving the adult beverage idea. Do you think 9 am is to early to sart? Lol!

Loved reading this and seeing your pics. I was going to order 13 cornish rock X with my layers when I placed my order a couple of months ago. But I got a little anxious about processing my own because I had never done it or seen it done before. So instead I have a neighbor who wanted some chicks and changed my order taking the meaties out and adding what she wanted. I will end up with more layers than I originally wanted but figuring if I lose any it would all work out regardless. I ordered mostly dual purpose breeds figuring I can eat some of them eventually when its time to cull our flock. We got our 27 chicks last Sunday....so excited!!! They are all great so far and have grown already crazy fast!! Your thread has me wanting to order all meaties the next time as I would love nothing more than to not have to buy chicken at the market. We come from the "broiler chicken capital" it seems. Home of Perdue as well as Mountaire Farms. We have Tyson as well. I feel so bad for those chickens that are stuck in the chicken trucks we pass on the street. Thanks for the confidence builder.....we are gonna do it!!
woot.gif

Oh and I don't remember who posted about gas cost and freezer electricity, etc but I don't think that really needs to be calculated as you would be using gas to go to the grocery store or run other errands anyway and you would be using the freezer for other food if you shop in bulk or hunt. Regardless of those costs you still have paid less per pound than grocery store chicken on a crazy sale and you have the benefits of raising your own food!! Win Win
clap.gif

I appreciate your post very much.

I have not culled any of my birds for meat ( we culled a couple do to health issues and I cried like a baby) but I really need to cull some of the roos. My Husband is a little squeemish but I think If I were to show him your set up - he might even help me do the deed. When I was very little 3-4 my grandfather raised beef, rabbits, chickens and lambs. I do remember asking about where the meat came from...I think it was - this isn't like "Mary had a little lamb is it?" and my Mom quickly avoided answering me directly by diverting with "oh no honey this came from the freezer." I wish she had just told me the truth because later my grandfather was culling the chickens with a hatchet and let the headless beasties run all over the back yard and that was horrible to see.

So I think I will start to collect the necessary items - keep in mind your comment about using newspaper and see about doing some butchering in the fall.

Caroline

Back
Top Bottom