Processed our 6 Meaties..Pic heavy *Graphic* Update:DINNER!

Love the post! Quick question, though, aren't you supposed to cut off the gland at the base of the tail? There were a couple of posts that said to do that or the gland makes the meat taste weird.

Very informative and great pictures as well. It makes it not seem so bad or hard to do for those of us that haven't had a chance to try processing our own birds! Thanks for posting !
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Aw thanks Itsy
smile.png
Yep, dyed my hair...again... last week. I am so not meant to be a blonde!! Was fun for a bit though... changing avatar momentarily
smile.png
My son has decided he is DEFINITELY not eating our chicken...so I told him we were going to watch food inc..and he could see what it's like in factory's, etc... Thinking that will help persuade him to feel more comfortable eating ours...His 13 year old boy response: Greeeat..so now I'm not gonna' want to eat OUR chicken OR store bought chicken ...thanks mom.... *sigh* The kid actually asked for a salad tonight (he usually pretends to be allergic to salad...)
big_smile.png

Quote:
I definitely think the cornish are the easiest to pluck. I do not know if its true, but I've also heard that older birds, non-cornish, are some of the hardest to pluck. These guys were easy, albeit time consuming and I'm sure there will be a little feather or two that will make my son REALLY swear off chicken forever hehehe.

smile.png
Cooking the first one tonight, hoping 48 hours was enough for the resting period! I got the chicks from our local blue seal, for 1.60 each. I am pleasantly surprised at the weights, and honestly, I am trying not to get my hopes up that the next batch will weigh out as well (but I am hoping anyway
tongue.png
)

Quote:
Oh goodness yes. We missed this step. It is not necessary..supposedly...but I definitely WANT to do it. Thank you for pointing that out... going to have to post a question about it first...not sure if I can still do it now!! Thank you!

Quote:
big_smile.png
Thanks, it was fun! Next batch is MUCH bigger tho, we'll see how fun it is after 25 birds
smile.png

I would NEVER do that to any of my birds; mine are considered pets. I think it is really cool that you can choose to not buy the nicely packaged hen at the store, who lived a miserable life in a tiny cage where she couldn't even spread her wings (not to mention, a thousand miles from your house) and instead make your own food, so you know exactly where it is coming from. Awesome job!

Well it is refreshing to read and see a post about your processing day that went well. I like the fact that you guy's were well prepared and organized for first timers, it is apparent that you did a great job and thought the process through to the end. You guy's had a good time, you had the right mindset with no mental emotional issues to cloud the task at hand and did it all with smiles and determination. getting the children involved was great, and even the small obstackles you encountered were handled well and you guy's just drove on. This is how a processing session should begin and end, a family affair done the right way, learning some things and feeling empowered and self reliant. I applaud you guy's and thanks as this will hopefully help those who have reservations and you can feel proud that you are setting a fine example of how it should be, Great job Guy's !!! I enjoyed it. Your sessions go just like mine do fun and rewarding.

AL

So these pics are awesome... I really like the pic of the bird on the table with pliers on one side pot holders on the other and then the drink in the foreground. Usually we find ourselves having a Long Island after a day of processing. Awesome... good job!

Wow! great job!! I have 6 that are going next week, I haven't actually butchered chickens before either. My dad did when I was like 6 so I don't remember too much except the smell of wet feathers yuck!!! I think we may try to skin these guys the first time, I do have a plucker I bought, not sure it's a real great one so I think we're going to skin.
Thanks for the pics and info! I have just watched like three films some one sent over the BYC WA post on u tube about commercial broiler production!! OMG! my birds have had a great life so far, out in the grass and sunshine just being a chicken!! That's why I'm doing this, I know where they came from, what they ate, and what their life has been before they were processed! Thanks for sharing and the posts were pretty funny!

What breed are your chickens - Cornish? I am really impressed that they grew that large that quickly. We are raising 12 meat birds and 12 hens but I chose Buff Orpingtons as our meat birds in case I wanted to keep a few to lay eggs for us. This is our first time so it is great to see a post like yours showing that it can be done - my birds are 6 weeks old and we are pretty excited for a yummy fall.

Back
Top Bottom