Processing and Eating Pullets

SIMZ

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Hi! Do any of you process dual purpose pullets or raise them specifically for meat? Is the best time to process them the same as cockerels - around 18-20 weeks?

I've always sold the extra females or needed them for layers. I thought dual-purpose meat birds wouldn't work for me because I can't have the crowing, and have to process males way too early to get much meat. But why not process the extra females, right? I have a batch of Black Copper Marans/Dark Cornish that I hatched just for this purpose.

You can. They taste just like chicken. It's kind of a shame to butcher POL pullets when you can probably sell them for 10 or 15 each.

Agreed - which is why I never do - although I rarely get $10-$15.
roll.png

I'm in the camp that sells them instead. I get $20 each so simply can't justify butchering them.
You might search Ridgerunner's posts, he's posted about butchering Pullets of various ages. I think they add fat as they age, so younger Pullets are going to be pretty lean.

I'm in the camp that sells them instead. I get $20 each so simply can't justify butchering them.
You might search Ridgerunner's posts, he's posted about butchering Pullets of various ages. I think they add fat as they age, so younger Pullets are going to be pretty lean.

Thanks! I'll look for his posts!

Back
Top Bottom