Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Sally Sunshine, Apr 14, 2013.

1. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY

I had forgotten about your breeding projects. That's a whole different scenario. :-S. I would bring the roo, even if it IS a Silkie ;).

The next phase of this meat chicken idea is processing 20 birds, and do I want more next time? I guess we'll see how long it takes to process these. A friend and I are processing the same day, so I'll see what it's like to process 60 birds at once. I will be keeping mine separate from hers on processing day.

Right now I use an ecoglow to brood chicks, and can only brood 20 at a time. (Its the only way I can brood chicks, I'm off the grid. a 75 W bulb running 24-7 would be the most inefficient thng in my house and translates directly to generator fuel). Also, have to see if I have range space for 20, or can I feasibly range more birds? I have a moveable tractor but will fence in an area that can be moved. If I can do more, would I rather process in two batches, spring and fall? Time will tell. I haven't eaten store chicken since June, and I can't see myself turning back now. I have reached the point of no return. :fistpump

2. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Off grid.... we are in a similar spot over numbers... we raised 20 this past spring and have also processed 7 extra roos. we about maxed out storage by June but the meat has been so good we are already getting low on smoking meat. Because of space restrictions we plan to do spring and fall next year. We have a bunch of barnyard mix chicks growing out right now or we would be getting more meaties this month.

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    China to the US--Nearly impossible to import from that scenario. He also said that the Government took his chickens. I am very sad about the whole situation.

4. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I will try and find the link.

5. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
  6. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY

Yeah. :(. I saw above that he said he'd be willing to pay the $$ to import the roo, which made me think there was a possibility. :-/

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  7. off-grid hen

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY

My space issues are specific to brooding numbers and freezer space. But it looks like I'll be buying a chest freezer and keeping at the neighbor's and maybe buying another ecoglow.

Good luck with your birds!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  8. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    There is a silkie breeder here on BYC in the U.S. that specializes in breeding very large silkies, getting eggs or chicks from her after coming to the States may be a best second option.

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Do you have the BYC contact information?

10. Kassaundra

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I pm'd her some time ago when I was considering raising dark fleshed meat birds, I'm not sure if I still have the pm or if it was deleted. I would bet she is on the silkie thread, she had some very nice very big silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by