Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

As mentioned earlier here is my Chicken and Dumplings recipe

1 whole chicken, cut up but not boned or skinned (although skinless would be fine, I just like the extra flavor the skin adds and just remove it before eating)
8-10 cups strong chicken broth (if using canned add a bullion cube or two to it) needs to be enough broth to cover chicken pieces, so amount may depend on the size of your pot and the size of the chicken pieces.
4 Tblsp dried vegetable flakes .... I get mine at a bulk food store the mennonite run, awesome for odd little cooking ingredients!
1 Tblsp Minced garlic
1/2 tsp season salt ... brand of your choice
1 tsp rubbed Sage
1 tsp Rosemary (I use the flakes, not the powdered, but probably doesn't make too much difference)
1 Tblsp Celery flake
A pinch each of .... Toasted Sesame seed,
Chives
Parsley
Mint
2 whole Bay leaves
1 cup chunky cut carrots
1 cup chunky cut fresh celery
5 stalks green onion, chopped (just the lower 1/2 of the stalk, don't need to include the tops)

Dumplings.... 2 cups flour
1 large egg
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk (+/-)

Directions.....
Add all of the top ingredients into a large covered heavy bottomed pot you can cook with on the stove top or a dutch oven style pot for in the oven (I do mine on the stovetop)
Bring to a slow boil and then turn down to a simmer and cover, allow to simmer for about 2 hrs, I usually stir and flip the chicken pieces over about every 30-45 mins to make sure all sides
are getting the same broth time. If it starts to dry too much you can add more broth as needed, but covered at slow simmer usually doesn't loose much.

When you notice the bones are pulling out (about 2 hrs) you can then mix the dumplings up in a seperate bowl till they are a sticky dough consistancy and drop the dough by the small
Tablespoon full onto the top of the chicken so it floats on the broth. Cover and allow to continue to simmer about 15 -20 minutes till dumplings have raised and are dry on top. (I usually break one apart to make sure the dumplings are dry and fluffy on the inside.

Serve with noodles, potatoes or rice as you prefer.

Please note, quantities are approximate and can be adjusted to your likes... I just came up with this recipe over a couple of years experimenting and throwing things in that seemed like a good idea at the time, some I didn't like so they were removed from the recipe, other things we did like, so they stayed. The dumplings are another experiment that seemed to work OK but there may be lighter/fluffier recipes out there. If you have a good dumplings recipe please share!!!

If you try this recipe and come up with alternatives/additions please let me know! This isn't a 100 yr, set in stone, family heirloom, it's my work in progress...
Thank you for sharing!! Sounds delicious, I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

If you have the info that would be great.
I was literally chased out of the house today. Calling the police with all kinds of fake stories and ********.
Standing my ground was an option, but in China the person who is right depends on anything but facts. If you have a louder voice and more people screaming for your team you win.
Lovely country, I wont ever be going back.

Sitting in the airport after blowing another thousand to get home.
Maybe I should have got a hotel and waited, but I want to get back to a real country.
Plus who knows what they would have had time to come up with if I had stuck in around.

I want to try to build a very pretty meat bird so eating the roosters feels special (and a little sad).
Plus I just want to play with how the dark gene works. Any info on large Silkies woudl be awesome.
From there I need to find another really dark gene bird. I think the novelty of black meat will catch on soon.

Took me a while to find her, her byc name is shadowpaints, she hasn't been on byc in quite a while, but her personal page has a link to her web page. The last time I pm'ed her she said her roos were getting to 10 lbs at 6ish moths old I believe. She said she had good dark skin color and good comb conformation and was working on better leg feathering, but that was some time ago.

Took me a while to find her, her byc name is shadowpaints, she hasn't been on byc in quite a while, but her personal page has a link to her web page. The last time I pm'ed her she said her roos were getting to 10 lbs at 6ish moths old I believe. She said she had good dark skin color and good comb conformation and was working on better leg feathering, but that was some time ago.

If you have the info that would be great.
I was literally chased out of the house today. Calling the police with all kinds of fake stories and ********.
Standing my ground was an option, but in China the person who is right depends on anything but facts. If you have a louder voice and more people screaming for your team you win.
Lovely country, I wont ever be going back.

Sitting in the airport after blowing another thousand to get home.
Maybe I should have got a hotel and waited, but I want to get back to a real country.
Plus who knows what they would have had time to come up with if I had stuck in around.

I want to try to build a very pretty meat bird so eating the roosters feels special (and a little sad).
Plus I just want to play with how the dark gene works. Any info on large Silkies woudl be awesome.
From there I need to find another really dark gene bird. I think the novelty of black meat will catch on soon.

I can't wait to see what you come up with here in the US!

fl.gif
I am sending safe travel wishes your way.

Thank you so much for the name, I'll go from there.

The "Black Phoenix" (黑凤凰鸡) is what I have read to believe to be the original Silkie before it was bred down for size and cuteness.
They were full sized and in most farms still are. They were used for medicine soups and the like. Therefore they need to be eating size but can be smaller than what you would normally want for family dinner.

My idea of big is 10 pounds or over.

EDIT:
I forgot to add I am back home safe. Goooood to be back

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the name, I'll go from there.

The "Black Phoenix" (黑凤凰鸡) is what I have read to believe to be the original Silkie before it was bred down for size and cuteness.
They were full sized and in most farms still are. They were used for medicine soups and the like. Therefore they need to be eating size but can be smaller than what you would normally want for family dinner.

My idea of big is 10 pounds or over.

EDIT:
I forgot to add I am back home safe. Goooood to be back

I am so happy that you made is back safely!

Back
Top Bottom