Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Both days are going to break the record temperatures for each date. The All time Record high temperature here is 114!

fl.gif
I hope I do not loose any chickens!
I read here somewhere that someone set up a water hose with a mister near the coup and run for their chickens, and that it significantly cooled the area where the chickens were. Something to consider.

I read here somewhere that someone set up a water hose with a mister near the coup and run for their chickens, and that it significantly cooled the area where the chickens were. Something to consider.

I set up a 10 foot mister string for them last night and set them up on a time. It worked very well. I used one that sits on the ground last year but it does not cover enough area.

We are dry here so misters work great!

Dark Cornish on left...Cornish X on right both two weeks old. These guys were born the same week,,,I plan on posting pics each week to see the progress .
Pics will be great! I was wondering how the dark cornish do for development vs other meaties. I am hoping to find some heritage cornish to add to my laying flock, but will have to wait for a bit till our numbers get settled out from the last hatches.

We finished up our meat birds.......guess it was yesterday, since I'm getting to bed so. There were 13 of them. A full 8 weeks old and I have mostly in the 5lb something range. With a few (4 or 5) up in the 6lb range. They all look really good without feathers!!!!! Nice big breast on these birds. I was plucking one and realized that I could see the breast on it even though it was laying breast down. We both certainly were better at doing the job this time around.

Day before we ate one that we had butchered in the first batch. OH, My Goodness!!!!! That was just crazy. Fresher really does taste better. Now I wonder........how long those store bought chickens hang out in those bags before a person would buy them. Because there is a distinct LACK of.......I don't know what to call it except for slime. My fresh chicken had no such yuckiness on it. I simply seasoned the pieces and popped it in the oven at 375. Well, and I did put some slices of bacon over the breast, hahahaha! Bacon makes everything better, even fresh chicken.

So glad that I found you all and could get the help that we needed to get this job done.

We finished up our meat birds.......guess it was yesterday, since I'm getting to bed so. There were 13 of them. A full 8 weeks old and I have mostly in the 5lb something range. With a few (4 or 5) up in the 6lb range. They all look really good without feathers!!!!! Nice big breast on these birds. I was plucking one and realized that I could see the breast on it even though it was laying breast down. We both certainly were better at doing the job this time around.

Day before we ate one that we had butchered in the first batch. OH, My Goodness!!!!! That was just crazy. Fresher really does taste better. Now I wonder........how long those store bought chickens hang out in those bags before a person would buy them. Because there is a distinct LACK of.......I don't know what to call it except for slime. My fresh chicken had no such yuckiness on it. I simply seasoned the pieces and popped it in the oven at 375. Well, and I did put some slices of bacon over the breast, hahahaha! Bacon makes everything better, even fresh chicken.

So glad that I found you all and could get the help that we needed to get this job done.
Congrats on the job well done!
highfive.gif
So rewarding to have it done and tucked away in the freezer.... and yes, maybe it's because we are prejudiced, knowing it was the result of our own work, but I think they taste better too!
Some of the slime you are missing is probably the brine they either inject or package much of the chicken with we buy at the store. That and I doubt they are as careful about rinsing the bird as we are when we process.

Processed another two roos a few days ago. One very large pot of chicken vegetable soup and one even larger pot of just stock were made
smile.png
soup is gone and the stock is canned for future projects

They weighed in at about 3.5 lbs each, smallish
hmm.png

Not much breast meat but larger legs and thighs than the previous batch. My kids asked me mid meal if this was homegrown chicken..
I hesitated and then said yes.. they said its delicious!!
smile.png
it was a funny moment.

LOL awesome!

Back
Top Bottom