Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

We finished up our meat birds.......guess it was yesterday, since I'm getting to bed so. There were 13 of them. A full 8 weeks old and I have mostly in the 5lb something range. With a few (4 or 5) up in the 6lb range. They all look really good without feathers!!!!! Nice big breast on these birds. I was plucking one and realized that I could see the breast on it even though it was laying breast down. We both certainly were better at doing the job this time around.

Day before we ate one that we had butchered in the first batch. OH, My Goodness!!!!! That was just crazy. Fresher really does taste better. Now I wonder........how long those store bought chickens hang out in those bags before a person would buy them. Because there is a distinct LACK of.......I don't know what to call it except for slime. My fresh chicken had no such yuckiness on it. I simply seasoned the pieces and popped it in the oven at 375. Well, and I did put some slices of bacon over the breast, hahahaha! Bacon makes everything better, even fresh chicken.

So glad that I found you all and could get the help that we needed to get this job done.
YAY!!! Mine were old and tasted awesome I cant even imagine yours!! awesome! WELL DONE!!!!

There was a post on the Heritage Large fowl thread with plucking instructions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow House Farm

Hmmm....plucking should go faster than that.

1. The scald water should be at 140 degrees
  2. Dunk the bird like a toilet plunger, after 30 seconds or so, lift the bird and with our pointy finger and thumb pinch a large, primary flight feather and wiggle. If it doesn't slide out, the bird needs more time in the water. Repeat until the wing feather more or lest falls from the bird with minimal pulling.
  3. Remove the wing and tail feathers immediately. Put the bird down on a stainless steel table or one that you've covered with clean plastic. Do not "pluck" the birds, using your thumb from tip to wrist, rub the bird down against the grain of the feather groth (from tail towards the head). You're rubbing; one doesn't "pluck" a scalded bird; it just makes a mess and goes way to slow. Rub those feathers off like sanding a floor, but this is why the scald is paramount--the most important part.
  4. Don't move all over the bird, cover one area, finish it, move to the next. Don't let the bird cool. Work quickly and with focus.
  5. You should be done in a matter of minutes. With practice the difference in time between skinning and feather removal should be negligible such that the added culinary potential for a skin covered bird wins out.

I'd like to add to the plucking tips: keep your mouth closed. Goes for pretty much every stage of processing, really. Learned that lesson well.
lau.gif
lol
lau.gif

Tomorrow is processing day at my friends' house and I am going to attend. They're doing meaties this time, so I don't have to experience the processing of cockerels I should not have named. Yet. (I have two crowing right now.... They will be next, soon.)

So, we shall see how involved I get....

Tomorrow is processing day at my friends' house and I am going to attend. They're doing meaties this time, so I don't have to experience the processing of cockerels I should not have named. Yet. (I have two crowing right now.... They will be next, soon.)

I hope it all goes well or you!

There are many different tasks that need tending. I bet you will find one that works for you. There was just me and hubby doing ours but we ended up each doing the tasks that we just seemed to be the best at and worked out a little routine for each bird.

Back
Top Bottom