Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Ok I need some help, My quail are due to get processed and a friend is bringing me about 8 of his. Does anyone else do coturnix? I will assume I need to skin them like a dove and basically just using a thumb and pulling the breast out.... tossing the rest.....

HERE is my issue.... unlike cleaning doves out in the field after shooting them, I have live birds that I need to do. Do I slit or cut off? I got the rest not sure of the first part.

Thank you!!!

I need one of those tiny cones my kids use for those little race tracks!!! (bad humor eh?)
see I am so beyond and back to old school reality, AND IT FEELS GOOD not to feel so guilty and upset! just telling you how I feel now! With EVERYONES help here!!!

Ok I need some help, My quail are due to get processed and a friend is bringing me about 8 of his. Does anyone else do coturnix? I will assume I need to skin them like a dove and basically just using a thumb and pulling the breast out.... tossing the rest.....

HERE is my issue.... unlike cleaning doves out in the field after shooting them, I have live birds that I need to do. Do I slit or cut off? I got the rest not sure of the first part.

Thank you!!!

I need one of those tiny cones my kids use for those little race tracks!!! (bad humor eh?)
see I am so beyond and back to old school reality, AND IT FEELS GOOD not to feel so guilty and upset! just telling you how I feel now! With EVERYONES help here!!!
Sally, I dispatch quail with kitchen shears over a bag in the sink. I skin rather than pluck as it's faster for me. They bleed out really fast and you just have to hold them over the bag actually just a few seconds.

I usually clip the wings off and the feet. Then I skin it and remove the entrails.

Thank you!!!

I can't answer that for you. It really is your personal preference. Either way will make a clean humane kill. Whichever you feel you can do more comfortably is the best method.

I need one of those tiny cones my kids use for those little race tracks!!!  (bad humor eh?)
;)

I am glad you have overcame those feelings of guilt and trepidation in such a short span. Since your in PA also can I pencil you in as a helper when we do 50ish odd rabbits this fall after the first good frost or two? The one currently in my avatar will be safe until next year.

Quote: I can't answer that for you. It really is your personal preference. Either way will make a clean humane kill. Whichever you feel you can do more comfortably is the best method.
Quote:
wink.png

Quote: I am glad you have overcame those feelings of guilt and trepidation in such a short span. Since your in PA also can I pencil you in as a helper when we do 50ish odd rabbits this fall after the first good frost or two? The one currently in my avatar will be safe until next year.
NO way on the rabbits I would tell my dad while hunting, no nothing came this way. HA! (I had pet rabbits as a kid and one was a wild rabbit I tamed) we are going back YEARS now LOL!

14 Coturnix and Bob Whites processed! yes I cut heads off with a boning scissors myself, I must say that having to hold the bird through those shaking vibrating last few minutes was extremely unnerving! I would much sooner shoot doves and grouse and have them dead at foot! But I did it, we did the slit the base of the breast and pull up and out. Was quite simple too. We Kept breast and hearts. Not much on the legs to bother with the rest of the gutting and stuff. So they were finished in less than 45 minutes start to finish. when DH started to help it went fast, lil Lucas caught them and DH did the beheading when he started helping, I held until convulsions stopped and harmony held them upsidedown from that point to breast removal, Harmony took the hearts out, and lucas cleaned the breasts of feathers and goop. Another unnerving issue with quail, their chests even ripped out still convulsed! That's why harmony was holder for more time! So Saturday will be eating day, we will wrap the breasts in bacon and bake, they are brining in salt and sugar in ziplocks in the fridge. I will say that I COULD NOT have gotten through this or picked up a quail and just lopped its head off without your support AND ALL THAT KNOWLEDGE everyone set forth! I just hatched 20+ quail to grow out and I still have my few breeders. So we will see if its worth it when its suppertime! MORE TO COME!!

Sally, have you considered rabbit? I've been doing some research on those for meat.
My family thinks I'm loosing my marbles to even consider raising animals for meat.
That's what they thought when I got the cornish x and they helped me eat those.
I hadn't considered quail but you made them look quite meaty and appetizing. Can't
wait to hear how they taste.

nope I cant do rabbits, I love rabbits way way too much! plus I grew up eating them and hated the stringiness. But mom may not have made them right.

14 Coturnix and Bob Whites processed! yes I cut heads off with a boning scissors myself, I must say that having to hold the bird through those shaking vibrating last few minutes was extremely unnerving! I would much sooner shoot doves and grouse and have them dead at foot! But I did it, we did the slit the base of the breast and pull up and out. Was quite simple too. We Kept breast and hearts. Not much on the legs to bother with the rest of the gutting and stuff. So they were finished in less than 45 minutes start to finish. when DH started to help it went fast, lil Lucas caught them and DH did the beheading when he started helping, I held until convulsions stopped and harmony held them upsidedown from that point to breast removal, Harmony took the hearts out, and lucas cleaned the breasts of feathers and goop. Another unnerving issue with quail, their chests even ripped out still convulsed! That's why harmony was holder for more time! So Saturday will be eating day, we will wrap the breasts in bacon and bake, they are brining in salt and sugar in ziplocks in the fridge. I will say that I COULD NOT have gotten through this or picked up a quail and just lopped its head off without your support AND ALL THAT KNOWLEDGE everyone set forth! I just hatched 20+ quail to grow out and I still have my few breeders. So we will see if its worth it when its suppertime! MORE TO COME!!

Wow!! Congrats! They look great! Very meaty looking for such little birds. Can you explain how you took the breast out in more detail? Or if you had a link with a pictorial showing where to make the cuts to pull out the breasts like that. It looks great!

And I know you started this thread to ask for help and support for the emotions you were dealing with as you faced your first processing... but your willingness to start this thread has helped countless others who weren't able to ask for themselves. You deserve much of the thanks you are offering to others!

Back
Top Bottom