Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

you will have to decide for yourself when the best time is, but for me the weather is a major drawback,,,if it gets cold, I find that the meaties will eat a lot more for warmth, which then causes other problems and cost me more..... I never had a problem with heat, but they have lots of shade and natural breezes

Quote:

sorry if this quote messes up, I am having issues with BYC page and posting : (

I am wondering if hatcheries always get eggs from the same distributors or if they raise and hatch their own?

Also do you think spring is the best time to go for the meaties raising? thanks
I did ours this past spring and it was fairly warm until it was time to process, but we had so many chicks growing out the extras weren't a problem. This coming year I hope to be doing at least 2 batches, one in spring and one to be processed around this time next fall. Hopefully I can do two batches every year, I just need to figure out how many Gavin and I will need for the year.

PA friends, did you order in or buy local? sorry I forget from the beginning of this thread! lol

I will order when you do fisherlady! I don't mind having them in the garage for a while at first! Please let me know what your going with too please!

PA friends, did you order in or buy local? sorry I forget from the beginning of this thread! lol

I will order when you do fisherlady! I don't mind having them in the garage for a while at first! Please let me know what your going with too please!

We are lucky, our local Tractor Supply gets their meaties in from the end of February till mid April. If they are from the same hatchery I will be happy, some really nice birds! So most likely will go back to them unless we decide to raise a lot more than we did this year. I know we raised 20 and probably could have done twice that with the interest we had from friends and family. We had a lot of extra roos that supplemented our freezer last year also, and don't know if we'll have that again in the spring or not.

We are lucky, our local Tractor Supply gets their meaties in from the end of February till mid April. If they are from the same hatchery I will be happy, some really nice birds! So most likely will go back to them unless we decide to raise a lot more than we did this year. I know we raised 20 and probably could have done twice that with the interest we had from friends and family. We had a lot of extra roos that supplemented our freezer last year also, and don't know if we'll have that again in the spring or not.
Same here in TN. I got my CX in late February from TSC, and was very pleased with them.

That is what we raised last year. Our TSC gets it's stock from Mt Healthy Hatchery in Ohio, and I was very happy with the birds... Much of our summer is spent camping/fishing so we wanted the quick turn around also.
That is where our local co-op gets them from. I forget what they charge but it was lower than the Mt Healthy price I would pay. Our original layers and our Red Rangers came from there, all were good birds.

Back
Top Bottom