Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

have not been here in a while. Life happens and seems to be happening even faster and crazier every day. I successfully processed 4 cockerels last weekend with the help of a friend. She was also wanting to learn so we both studied up and then got to work. Killing and plucking are easy enough but still the clean out was tricky. seems like there was lots of extra bits in there. Anyway, I have yet to eat chicken since then. They have been resting in the fridge since then. I guess it is time to either cook them or freeze them...I am leaning toward freeze.

have not been here in a while. Life happens and seems to be happening even faster and crazier every day. I successfully processed 4 cockerels last weekend with the help of a friend. She was also wanting to learn so we both studied up and then got to work. Killing and plucking are easy enough but still the clean out was tricky. seems like there was lots of extra bits in there. Anyway, I have yet to eat chicken since then. They have been resting in the fridge since then. I guess it is time to either cook them or freeze them...I am leaning toward freeze.
It's not unusual to feel that way, especially if you are new to processing. Eviscerating is most definitely the most icky part of the process, and getting between the ribs to remove lung tissue, etc. But it will be worth it when you are up to cooking them. How old were they?

It may help to cut it into pieces or debone it. Just so you are not looking at the bird. Once we ate some of the chicken all was fine, I was worried that my wife would have a problem. I had hunted pheasant when I was younger so I had already cleaned a bird and had it for dinner.

smilies-3434.png

Good job processing the four Cockerels! It is great that a friend helped too.

When getting the innards out, do not be shy about it. It will become easier with practice too.

Put them into the freezer and plan on cooking one in a month. They will look like chicken by then and not the birds they were.

91.gif

They will be some of the best chicken you ever cooked too.

It's not unusual to feel that way, especially if you are new to processing. Eviscerating is most definitely the most icky part of the process, and getting between the ribs to remove lung tissue, etc. But it will be worth it when you are up to cooking them. How old were they?
They were 6 months and huge. I had to cut legs off of one of them to get it in a pot. The legs remind me of turkey legs.

It may help to cut it into pieces or debone it. Just so you are not looking at the bird. Once we ate some of the chicken all was fine, I was worried that my wife would have a problem. I had hunted pheasant when I was younger so I had already cleaned a bird and had it for dinner.
That is probably what will happen. I delegged one already to get it in a pot.

smilies-3434.png

Good job processing the four Cockerels! It is great that a friend helped too.

When getting the innards out, do not be shy about it. It will become easier with practice too.

Put them into the freezer and plan on cooking one in a month. They will look like chicken by then and not the birds they were.

91.gif

They will be some of the best chicken you ever cooked too.
Thanks. I am looking forward to tasting but I am still seeing guts at this point.

Thanks for all the support on this thread. I never would have gotten the courage up to try processing with out you all.

I think this is the thread that Bee posted the video of the French chef deboning the chicken, but I tried it today, it worked pretty well. It wasn't quite as easy or quick as the chef showed but definitely doable and I think w/ practice will get better.

I think this is the thread that Bee posted the video of the French chef deboning the chicken, but I tried it today, it worked pretty well. It wasn't quite as easy or quick as the chef showed but definitely doable and I think w/ practice will get better.
I want to try this with my next batch of birds as well. I am sure it will be a bit of a challenge at first but it looks like it would be a great meal and could sell quite well too. Since I processed my first batch of birds a few weeks ago I have had people asking me to sell them whole and quartered birds.Maybe next year...

I think this is the thread that Bee posted the video of the French chef deboning the chicken, but I tried it today,  it worked pretty well.  It wasn't quite as easy or quick as the chef showed but definitely doable and I think w/  practice will get better.
I think the key is in the knife.....

Back
Top Bottom