Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Here they are - well, when they arrived. It's raining outside so you can't see a brooder picture right now. (I brood in a small coop outside)

Awwwwww!!!! Look at the wittle meatballs!!!!!!
love.gif

Quote:
Awwwww!!!! Look at the wittle meatballs!!!!!!
love.gif
I called them chicken nuggets.
lau.gif

They were packaged well and had heat packs in with them. I was surprised how warm they were when I pulled them out.
How many heat packs? and were they those 72 hour ones? were they on the top of the mat or under it? and I think I see grow gel?was it just set in there or in a cup of some sort? curious we really want to start shipping and I am sooooo scared! lol

How many heat packs? and were they those 72 hour ones? were they on the top of the mat or under it? and I think I see grow gel?was it just set in there or in a cup of some sort? curious we really want to start shipping and I am sooooo scared! lol
I'll have to dig the box back out and look at the heat packs. I split the order with a friend, so there were 50 chicks - 25 on her side, 26 on mine. I didn't see them, so they should be under the mat. The grow gel was just in a pile on the floor. Don't put it in containers, Mary had chicks shipped that way and some died stuck in the container in the grow gel.

Do you tell your chicks that you can't wait to eat them? Or am I the only one?
hide.gif
Well, I did call them chicken nuggets. My youngest said, "poor little chickens have to get killed", so we had to have the discussion about our chickens being able to see the sun, be outside and happy before they go into our freezer. And how grocery store chickens never even see the sun, can't move around much - so we are raising happy birds. He was much better after that.

Well, I did call them chicken nuggets. My youngest said, "poor little chickens have to get killed", so we had to have the discussion about our chickens being able to see the sun, be outside and happy before they go into our freezer. And how grocery store chickens never even see the sun, can't move around much - so we are raising happy birds. He was much better after that.

I have similar issues with my step-son. His step-dad has been playing some zombie shooting game and now he's been obsessed with violence lately. He has such a hard time separating reality from fantasy as it is, so we avoid TV and too much games (especially violent ones).... the other day he's looking at the chicks and says "when they're big we're gonna stab them with a knife!" Egh... I tried to explain to him that's not quite how it works and they are killed carefully and quickly and no knives are used until they're already dead. He has not watched us dispatch a bird yet, he's only seen the plucked and eviscerated end result... I worry about that boy.

He's almost six, thinks time machines are real, he's Sonic the hedgehog and says things like "When I was an adult, you were my kid, daddy" and has false memories about his mom living in my house. I'm sure it's the age, but it's hard to have him understand what's real. Seems one has to shelter such a child from killing chickens, or he may try to butcher the cat next
hmm.png

They've figured out the Eco Glow now and are happily under it. And yes, they are CX.

A couple of times mine got "lost' when they were only a few days old and couldn't find warmth, peeping loudly at the far end of the brooder. I did my best mama hen imitation and herded them into the warmth.

Back
Top Bottom