Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I do deep litter on floors, too.

Dang it ROn, now you've gone and done it!!! A neighbor up the street is rumored to have more pea eggs than they know what to do with and though I politely said no thank you when a comon neighbor offered, I have treasured the moments their 4 pea cocks get loose and parade on the street. Probably my favorite eye candy! I look for them everyday.

Over here on the California Northern thread, @chiqita posted information about a big hatchery that has a bunch of silkies that they use to hatch peacocks.

Maybe she will pop on in her and post that information again.

You should get those eggs and put them under a broody silkie! They sell Pea Cocks for a bit of money too....

Over here on the California Northern thread, @chiqita
posted information about a big hatchery that has a bunch of silkies that they use to hatch peacocks.

Maybe she will pop on in her and post that information again.

You should get those eggs and put them under a broody silkie! They sell Pea Cocks for a bit of money too....

Bantie cochins! They put them under the banties for 7 days then put them in non vibrating incubators and hand turned.

Silkies would be great too!
Hello all you brave people!

Bantie cochins! They put them under the banties for 7 days then put them in non vibrating incubators and hand turned.

Silkies would be great too!
Hello all you brave people!
Thanks Chiqita!

I remembered the good Banty Broody part correctly at least....

Dang it ROn, now you've gone and done it!!! A neighbor up the street is rumored to have more pea eggs than they know what to do with and though I politely said no thank you when a comon neighbor offered, I have treasured the moments their 4 pea cocks get loose and parade on the street. Probably my favorite eye candy! I look for them everyday.
They are beautiful, but the dang racket they make! Holy crud they are LOUD!

We have some wild ones that have taken over an abandoned building in town. Anytime my DH gets irritated with my chicken hobby, I point out that I could be hatching peafowl. Shuts him up really quick.
lau.gif

Anyone have or use the "feather man equipment" for processing? I'm thinking of investing to do my own birds and thought I would get some opinions

We have a plucker, cone rack and large propane scalding tank (thermostat controlled) from them. Yes, they are expensive to buy, but can be awesome if you are doing a large number of birds. You can do well with any number of substitutes and home made similar items, but in particular I liked the scalding tank for when we are doing a large number of birds. The equipment has certainly sped up the process but also requires (minor) maintaining and cleaning and disinfecting and storage after each use. If you are doing a lot of birds and have a dedicated area it can be left set up at then it would be even better.

You may find some for rent in your area which would allow you to try it first to see if the set up, tear down and required cleaning are OK for you, and if it saves enough time to be worth it for you to invest that amount of money.

Back
Top Bottom