Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

I processed 3 different kinds. They all looked quite similar after process. Just guessing but I believe the one to the front was a pure Cream legbar and possibly the one in the back I think is one of the mix breeds being 1/2 Marans, 1/4 Cream Legbar, 1/4 Cochin. They were both roughly 14 weeks old.

very nice what breed was the top one? it has a lovey body shape:love . How was the meat? I have been putting off culling a few extra roosters of mine because of the "tough" meat dilemma but those look amazing!!:drool  

Someone else had asked also :) See the above quote. The meat was tender and delicious.

Last edited:
YOu did well to think of your youngster too. A variety of reactions possible when it comes to kids. Early introductions are definitely easier.  

Glad it worked out toe keep him iwth his friends . . . being flexible makes life easier.

He looks plump !

You are making me hungry for CHICKEN!!!!

Thanks! You know how us Moms are, always wanting to shield them. But I want him to know where food comes from and tell him all the time what nuggets actually are. Lol I think he really made the connection today. He and I were in the house heating the water while Dad did the deed. Well, I went to check on Dad's progress and little man followed me out. He was so curious. Well, once he was rinsed here my husband came with a ready to be plucked chicken. We told DS why we chose to turn this one into food and he said, "Can I help?" and it was on from there. He has to have some of my genes. I was supposed to go to veterinary school and used to help my Dad clean game... Lol
I honestly thought it was going to upset him, but not in the least. I'm very proud of my little guy... :)

The bird was very tall. Nice muscular legs and thighs. Not much breast meat yet. I will take a better picture before it goes in the oven Monday or Tuesday :)

Thanks again for the kudos. It's so satisfying to have learned how to do this!

Last edited:
Quote: They look great! Nice job!

They just came out of the oven

And even better now!
droolin.gif

We did our 10 black freedom rangers this morning and loaded up the freezer.
I had a little helper with the vacuum sealing
smile.png

Thant's great! I don't know if my 4 year old Granddaughter would be as hlepful

Quote: So glad you did it!
clap.gif

Quote: as Moms, I think we are often too hard on ourselves and others are willing to be harder . . . .

It is our job to bring our kids along when they are ready to handle it-- yoy know your child best.

I shield my kids from some aspects of farm life-- sometimes it is because I am dealing with intense emotions and cant deal well with theirs on top of it. Like the loss of a beloved horse . . . I send them off to do other things . .

We know our kids best . . . . and sometimes they surprise us!! Glad your litle one handlled it all instride

Last edited:
as  Moms, I think we are often too hard on ourselves and others are willing to be harder . . . .

It is our job to bring our kids along when they are ready to handle it-- yoy know your child best. 

I shield my kids from some aspects of farm life-- sometimes it is because I am dealing with intense emotions and cant deal well with theirs on top of it. Like the loss of a beloved horse . . . I send them off to do other things . . 

We know our kids best . . . .  and sometimes they surprise us!!  Glad your litle one handlled it all instride

:)

One thing I learned last weekend...16 week olds have a LOT of pin feathers to contend with. Will plucking 7-9 week olds be a lot easier than that? We have 20 cornish cx coming...tomorrow! Haha
Meyer goofed up our ship date by over a month but it's all good. Pray for a mild August. Lol

Back
Top Bottom