Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

With big ones, you have to find the joints and the snap them to find the tendons to cut them.

It takes a very sharp knife to do this too.
With the huge bones this fellow had, I was bemoaning the fact that I didn't have a cleaver like the chefs.
tongue2.gif

MargaretYakoda- Great description; thank you. So many people like this method that I'm thinking about trying it, but got to read enough that I feel like I know what to expect and how to keep the "well that didn't go as planned" details to a minimum.

Thanks.
Yes, it's always the way isn't it?
lau.gif
Every new job has setbacks. A learning curve. This past year I have learned so much and done things that I never thought I could. Hoping next time, with a smaller bird, will go better.
highfive.gif

Everyone has had so many stories of aggressive roos that needed a trip to freezer camp. I thought I would share a success story of how a good roo is the best asset! This is why we cull!!!

10 month old Buff Brahma, Midas!

Everyone has had so many stories of aggressive roos that needed a trip to freezer camp. I thought I would share a success story of how a good roo is the best asset! This is why we cull!!!

10 month old Buff Brahma, Midas!

Is this bird nice naturally or did you do (or not do) something specifically.

I've had issues with my Ameraucana cockerels/cock birds. They were bred by a serious exhibition breeder. After dealing with more than my share of nasty cockerels, I've decided that temperament is the most important thing I can breed for.

Of the first group I got last year, I have one nasty one left. He's destined for the soup pot whenever I get around to it and I know I'll regret not doing it yesterday. He's only alive because I needed a rooster to look out for the flock as they free range and he was great with the hens and superb at watching out for them.

He has produced 7 chicks, three are cockerels hatched mid June, so a few days short of six months old. I know what I said about temperament, but he was the only cock bird I had and my absolute favorite hen was not well with bumble foot--I collected her eggs before she was put down.

This year I bought another batch of chicks from the same breeder. I'm down to one cockerel from that group hatched February. He's not posed a problem but he is "watching" me. He has never picked anything up and dropped it--yet. I haven't been sure if he was watching to get goodies or watching to be protective. Today I found out when I caught up (really, just picked up) and carried one of the younger cockerels who has been too "in my face" (and I wanted to put on a band so I can be able to identify him). He walked up beside me, complaining as I carried away the cockerel. I pushed him away with my foot and he jumped away.

So, here's what I have left, all Ameraucanas which are a slow maturing breed:

Cock 21 months old. Nasty, absolutely must go. Fantastic with the flock.

Cockerel 10 months old, has never shown aggression, never picked up sticks or stones, shows a lot of interest in me, coming close and talking when I'm out. (They get treats twice a day when I service the parrot aviaries, so they all come running when I go out hoping for parrot pellets.) This is the bird that walked underfoot when I carried one of the younger cockerels this morning.

Three cockerels, 6 months old, have never shown aggression, have never picked up and dropped objects at me, have been all extremely friendly and inquisitive. One seems to be very close to me whenever I am outside. Not sure if it is the start of aggression or just continuing his curiosity/begging behavior. I did feed them treats. These three cockerels were raised by a broody hen. They are the nasty bird's chicks.

I don't handle chicks or the hens. I pretty much leave them be, go out to feed, water and collect eggs. They occasionally get thrown treats. The Ameraucanas free range over almost 2 acres in the front yard.

I would really appreciate your input of how to get a nice rooster. I have three bantam cocks in my backyard, and two are nice. The third is a silly jerk who couldn't hurt you if he tried, so I just ignore him. (He is very frizzled, so his wings are completely useless--if he jumps up to strike you, he just flips on his back. He is a sad excuse of a bird!)

I have no aggression between the cocks or cockerels, even if the large fowl get into the back yard with the bantams.

Yes, I know the nasty bird HAS to go, but I have an adult son who argues against his demise. His argument--and it's relevant--is that the bird is excellent with the hens and watches for danger. I'm a weeny about culling, so if you give me any excuse not to cull, I'll run with it.

Thanks for any input on my rooster problem.

Is this bird nice naturally or did you do (or not do) something specifically.

I've had issues with my Ameraucana cockerels/cock birds. They were bred by a serious exhibition breeder. After dealing with more than my share of nasty cockerels, I've decided that temperament is the most important thing I can breed for.

Of the first group I got last year, I have one nasty one left. He's destined for the soup pot whenever I get around to it and I know I'll regret not doing it yesterday. He's only alive because I needed a rooster to look out for the flock as they free range and he was great with the hens and superb at watching out for them.

He has produced 7 chicks, three are cockerels hatched mid June, so a few days short of six months old. I know what I said about temperament, but he was the only cock bird I had and my absolute favorite hen was not well with bumble foot--I collected her eggs before she was put down.

This year I bought another batch of chicks from the same breeder. I'm down to one cockerel from that group hatched February. He's not posed a problem but he is "watching" me. He has never picked anything up and dropped it--yet. I haven't been sure if he was watching to get goodies or watching to be protective. Today I found out when I caught up (really, just picked up) and carried one of the younger cockerels who has been too "in my face" (and I wanted to put on a band so I can be able to identify him). He walked up beside me, complaining as I carried away the cockerel. I pushed him away with my foot and he jumped away.

Cock 21 months old. Nasty, absolutely must go. Fantastic with the flock.

Cockerel 10 months old, has never shown aggression, never picked up sticks or stones, shows a lot of interest in me, coming close and talking when I'm out. (They get treats twice a day when I service the parrot aviaries, so they all come running when I go out hoping for parrot pellets.) This is the bird that walked underfoot when I carried one of the younger cockerels this morning.

Three cockerels, 6 months old, have never shown aggression, have never picked up and dropped objects at me, have been all extremely friendly and inquisitive. One seems to be very close to me whenever I am outside. Not sure if it is the start of aggression or just continuing his curiosity/begging behavior. I did feed them treats. These three cockerels were raised by a broody hen. They are the nasty bird's chicks.

I don't handle chicks or the hens. I pretty much leave them be, go out to feed, water and collect eggs. They occasionally get thrown treats. The Ameraucanas free range over almost 2 acres in the front yard.

I would really appreciate your input of how to get a nice rooster. I have three bantam cocks in my backyard, and two are nice. The third is a silly jerk who couldn't hurt you if he tried, so I just ignore him. (He is very frizzled, so his wings are completely useless--if he jumps up to strike you, he just flips on his back. He is a sad excuse of a bird!)

I have no aggression between the cocks or cockerels, even if the large fowl get into the back yard with the bantams.

Yes, I know the nasty bird HAS to go, but I have an adult son who argues against his demise. His argument--and it's relevant--is that the bird is excellent with the hens and watches for danger. I'm a weeny about culling, so if you give me any excuse not to cull, I'll run with it.

Me too.
pop.gif

This main roo Joel. I swear, he's the perfect boy. He's watchful of me but far from aggressive. He's calm if held, not hard to catch, will come close to eat treats from your hand (he knows his name so he knows if a treat is specific for him), he doesn't care about the kids. He guards the flock well, always finds his girls treats, cares for tends the babies and keeps everyone together and order in the flock :)

This was Blue. He was also very mellow and sweet with all people. He was ALWAYS first to try to get a treat. He's the one we processed last month (our first). As sweet as he was with people, the hens did NOT trust him. He was known for sneaking up on the girls when they were alone and jumping them. He wasn't a good lookout either.

Both boys are Marans and I swear they are the biggest sweet hearts (at least so far)

This little brat is Chip. He can be a nasty little thing. If it were up to me, he'd be gone though he's about the size of my fist. He's not in charge of the flock but he'll attempt a spurring if he even remotely thinks you may be looking at the girls. BUT, he's my son's chicken and he has a life pass *rolls eyes*

Is this bird nice naturally or did you do (or not do) something specifically. Both. Brahmas are naturally docile, so even hatchery stock (whick are not bred to be docile) are pretty calm.

I've had issues with my Ameraucana cockerels/cock birds. They were bred by a serious exhibition breeder. After dealing with more than my share of nasty cockerels, I've decided that temperament is the most important thing I can breed for. I agree 100%.
Ameraucanas are not usually aggressive, although hatchery EE's are some of the nastiest roos, second to my hatchery RIR's.

This year I bought another batch of chicks from the same breeder. I'm down to one cockerel from that group hatched February. He's not posed a problem but he is "watching" me. He has never picked anything up and dropped it--yet. I haven't been sure if he was watching to get goodies or watching to be protective. Today I found out when I caught up (really, just picked up) and carried one of the younger cockerels who has been too "in my face" (and I wanted to put on a band so I can be able to identify him). He walked up beside me, complaining as I carried away the cockerel. I pushed him away with my foot and he jumped away. This sounds like a good roo! My Midas (above) has puffed up a couple of times actually. I always respond the same, push them away, and either catch, and hold or chase until they back down. My kids are taught to respond the same way. I have even picked up my boys when they were too scarred to chase the aggressive roos away. I've found that once you back down ONE time, they only get more aggressive
somad.gif

Cock 21 months old. Nasty, absolutely must go. Fantastic with the flock. Butcher him. You can and should have both!

Cockerel 10 months old, has never shown aggression, never picked up sticks or stones, shows a lot of interest in me, coming close and talking when I'm out. (They get treats twice a day when I service the parrot aviaries, so they all come running when I go out hoping for parrot pellets.) This is the bird that walked underfoot when I carried one of the younger cockerels this morning. This fellow sounds promising. Work with him and I bet he will be a great roo.

Three cockerels, 6 months old, have never shown aggression, have never picked up and dropped objects at me, have been all extremely friendly and inquisitive. One seems to be very close to me whenever I am outside. Not sure if it is the start of aggression or just continuing his curiosity/begging behavior. I did feed them treats. These three cockerels were raised by a broody hen. They are the nasty bird's chicks. I am not sure about this picking and dropping objects. Can you explain?

You might be able to work with the calmer offspring. Genetics are only half the battle.

The signs I watch for are:
Disregard, If a roo carries on breeding and crowing while I am in the run (you should be 'dominate roo', and a dom roo won't allow this). Being alert is a trait I want, as we have hawks, skunks, raccoons, and lose dogs occasionaly.
Puffing, this usually gets rewarded with a little chase, or jont around the run in arm LOL
Jumping big no-no, this pretty much get you sent to freezer camp in my flock!; and of course
Kicking, I won't let my kids grow up with stories and scars from mean roos!

My personal routine just involves as much contact as possible. It is much easier in warmer months though! Midas is a special boy, and I pick him up for a cuddle almost daily
love.gif
I had a Light Brahma that while a good bird for the flock would not have tolerated my son like this.
Personality, breed, raising, and contact are the keys, plus sometimes you have to hold out for the right roo! They may be a dime a dozen but the good ones are harder to find.

Yes, I know the nasty bird HAS to go, but I have an adult son who argues against his demise. His argument--and it's relevant--is that the bird is excellent with the hens and watches for danger. I'm a weeny about culling, so if you give me any excuse not to cull, I'll run with it. It's up to you to decide if the benifit is worth the risk. If you free-range a lot, have a lot of predators, and don't have small children or unsuspecting guests, then he may be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajeanpierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaB220

Me too.
pop.gif

I wonder if we should start a thread to share our knowledge about culling for personality?

Editing to add a X2 for everything TaraBellaBirds said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraBellaBirds

Last edited:

This little brat is Chip. He can be a nasty little thing. If it were up to me, he'd be gone though he's about the size of my fist. He's not in charge of the flock but he'll attempt a spurring if he even remotely thinks you may be looking at the girls. BUT, he's my son's chicken and he has a life pass *rolls eyes*

We had this situation with a Cuckoo Maran. He was supposed to be a Cochin from Meyer, as a pet for my 6 year old, it was obvious from the get go that he was not a Buff Cochin! Once he started showing aggression it didn't take him long to make the CHOICE to get rid of him. It helped that we bred him once and got a cute little pullet out of him!
I wonder if we should start a thread to share our knowledge about culling for personality?
I like this idea a lot! We could share a lot of imformation for newbies frustrated with aggressive roos! It was a shock at first dealing with unexpected aggression and wondering if we would ever get a good rooster!

Last edited:
@Jajeanpierre,

My suggestion would be that unless you're planning on showing birds, stop buying birds from show breeders. There are some show breeders that are concerned with temperment, but most are concerned with what is going to show well, and what fits the standard of perfection.

You need to buy birds from someone who has the same breeding goals as you do.

I noticed someone mentioning that you want to be dominant roo - I disagree with this. I don't want to be a rooster. I don't want to be at the top of the pecking order, I want to be outside of it. I don't dominate my rooster, I ignore him. Every time I've tried to dominate a rooster, he's ended up in the pot - mostly because dominating them doesn't make them trustworthy with other people.

Back
Top Bottom