Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

We got 3 more cockerels processed today. Sheesh, it stinks when it doesn't even seem like you are making a dent.

You have more that needs processing?????
lol.png
Me thinks most of us do. lol

You have more that needs processing?????
lol.png
Me thinks most of us do. lol

We processed 3 today also, 2 of our own and one for DH's coworker who didn't want to bother for just one bird. We are doing OK at the moment in the coop but have 3 more coming up (probably about a 2 week reprieve for them)
It is hard to do sometimes but I do love the peace in the coop after getting rid of an obnoxious teenager...

Here's some crazy questions.

I'm just discovering that one maybe two of my laying hens has what is called "lash egg". I've read that it
is the end of the road for the layers when they catch this dreaded infection.
I am going to have to depopulate my flock (5) and clean and disinfect EVERYTHING.
I intend to start over.

So my crazy questions are can I have these hens processed to eat?
How will it affect me? I can't seem to find anyone around me
(vet or otherwise) to help me answer questions like this.
Unfortunately Massachusetts doesn't seem to support my interests.
Or at least I haven't found the proper channels.

Any input would be sweet.

The information I did find on lash egg was through The Chicken Chick website.
I did a search on this forum and found it after one of you out there recognized
my pictures I posted.

Peace.

I had never heard of lash egg before I came across it on this forum, so I had to google it and read about it. The consensus seems to be that it signals a hormonal imbalance in hens and the end of normal egg laying and most hens die within months of having it. Bacteria or viral infections can be factored in, but no where did I read that the entire flock has to be exterminated and disinfected and start over.
It was stated certain breeds and hybrids are more prone to it and even chickens with good husbandry can get it, so what am I missing? I hope to never experience it first hand.

Lash eggs are uncommon, but not a situation that necessitates culling your flock, massive disinfection program and starting over.

It can mean that the "affected" bird is starting to approach a slow down in production, but it can also happen in younger, completely healthy birds. You may not even see it again.

Weird things just sometimes happen.

Ok. But so far my original question remains unanswered.

Can I eat these birds?
Lash egg is not an infection or disease. It is usually just an egg that stayed in too long. You can get them after the winter when they do not lay and then start up again.

The flesh of the hen is fine. You can process and eat a hen that has laid an egg like that. You may not know which one that is so you will need to make sure the hen you process is not laying. I would wait until March to check.

You can tell by looking at the vent of the hen. A laying hen will have a large vent that looks moist. One that is not laying will have a small vent and it will look dry. Breeds with yellow skin will have a lot of yellow around the vent if the hen is not laying.

This was the craziest baby fight I've ever seen amongst mine. They all get along now but at the time, both wanted the same position in the pecking order lol. All the boys are in a pen together now (hubby calls it the frat house lol). At about 15 weeks old, they only have about 9 weeks until processing day.

Yup, just like that. One was on top of the other, holding him by the comb with his beak. They're a feisty bunch.

Lash eggs are uncommon, but not a situation that necessitates culling your flock, massive disinfection program and starting over.

It can mean that the "affected" bird is starting to approach a slow down in production, but it can also happen in younger, completely healthy birds. You may not even see it again.

Weird things just sometimes happen.
Ditto.

Ok. But so far my original question remains unanswered.

Can I eat these birds?
The birds are fine to eat. Think of it as a petrified egg that sat in the tube too long. It can be a sign that the hen is approaching laying problems, or it can be a fluke as she's starting laying again. No need to worry at this point.

Back
Top Bottom