Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE!

Our first "day" is Saturday for our 26 CX. Mine have been in a tractor and get to free range everyday. I'm dreading the slaughter already. I've enjoyed watching them graze every afternoon when I get home from work.
I dreaded it as well....even tried to avoid getting familiar with them....calling them 1,2,3,4 and 5....which didn't work...but as I waited for the weather to cool down....I came home to find one of the pullets flipped over on her back, feet sticking up....not a scratch on her....I decided it was time and dispatched the remaining 4 birds the next day I had off. It's never something I look forward to but they had a great summer out on the grass....dust bathing....bug hunting...communing with the laying flock thru the fence....the cockrels even got a chance to challenge the Roosters thru the fence....what a hoot! And yes even though they are big and lumbering they can be surprisingly agile! And look out when the whole crew get a case of the "Wilds" running around, flapping their under sized wings in an honest display of what I can only describe as "Joyful Chicken Behavior"...it was time to go before anyone else dropped dead. I really enjoyed them. I'm glad they had a chance to be real chickens during their short lives. Plan on doing it again next spring.

Another five chickens butchered this morning, this time all 6 mo. old cockerels raised here from chicks. All meaty, heavy birds and beautiful of form and feather, docile to handle. They won't have as much lovely fat stored as the old hens though way more than any other cockerels I've butchered before getting WRs, but their meat is incredibly fine textured and dense.

They are MUCH easier to butcher than the tough old hens, for sure. Slowly but surely the meat harvest is done in this manner, sorting out what one will keep and what one will eat. It's an age old ritual passed down since the beginning of time and I love being a link in that chain. The work goes faster if you have help, but there's something to be said about the silence and serenity of doing this kind of work alone that I love too. It's a beautiful day and a slight breeze every now and again....quiet except the sounds of crows in the distance and the crunching of bones as the dogs eat heads and feet, the sounds, while the rest of the flock scratch through the fall leaves. God gave me a beautiful day for such work and I thank Him for the good, clean meat grown on this peaceful land.

More meat in the jars by this evening! Hopefully. If I don't wear out too soon. LOL Gotta let that chill in the fridge a bit while I go unload a truckload of leaves and 200# of feed.

I dreaded it as well....even tried to avoid getting familiar with them....calling them 1,2,3,4 and 5....which didn't work...but as I waited for the weather to cool down....I came home to find one of the pullets flipped over on her back, feet sticking up....not a scratch on her....I decided it was time and dispatched the remaining 4 birds the next day I had off. It's never something I look forward to but they had a great summer out on the grass....dust bathing....bug hunting...communing with the laying flock thru the fence....the cockrels even got a chance to challenge the Roosters thru the fence....what a hoot! And yes even though they are big and lumbering they can be surprisingly agile! And look out when the whole crew get a case of the "Wilds" running around, flapping their under sized wings in an honest display of what I can only describe as "Joyful Chicken Behavior"...it was time to go before anyone else dropped dead. I really enjoyed them. I'm glad they had a chance to be real chickens during their short lives. Plan on doing it again next spring.
This is how I feel as well. This is my 4th time raising meat birds and I look forward to getting them as chicks every year. They really are great chickens if you give them the space to be chickens in. I love seeing them dust bath, scratch around and chase down bugs. It does make processing tough, however. I thought it would get easier with time, but it doesn't really, not for me at least. But, I like knowing that my chickens had a good life, and that makes it worth it for me to deal with the emotions come processing time.

Pics of my 2 gallon bleach jug killing cones in use today...will give folks an idea of how good they fit the shape of a chicken~ and tough!!! You can't tear through this plastic, especially if you mount it with a broad headed nail, like a roofing nail.

Tasty cockerels waiting their turn in the cones.

This was the smallest one and just look at the fat inside this thing!!! And more layered on the back, back of the neck, the thighs, etc. Fall foraging...it does a body good.

23 chilling:

@abbevilleoz

Well done! Some of those look like monsters! The ones towards the back of the tub look like they have a green/yellow cast to them is that just a trick of the light or was there some bruising?

sharing,,, not sure this was on here before

CHECK OUT THE PLUCKER!!!

How to butcher a chicken humanely - Part 1 of 2: Killing and Evisceration

0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom