Processing fee for Sheep

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
Out of curiosity, I called around to a few places to find out how much they charge to process sheep and this is what I was told.

Store #1
$25.00 to process
.36 cent per lb to cut and wrap

Store #2
$20.00 to process
.25 cent per lb to cut

Store #3
$25.00 to process
.20 cent per lb to cut
.45 cent per lb to cut and wrap

Are these prices too high/too low? Just curious

so if you had a 300 pound sheep it would be a little over 100 for the whole thing to be processed and wrapped up? sounds good to me! well, how much meat would you actually get?

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure. They used the term "dressed out". I'm assuming that weight is minus the head, legs, etc. And I assume its ONLY the actual meat. Makes sense to me. What about you?

i think so..i mean, i have no idea!
lol.png

i would go for it anyways!

I noticed that there is a big difference if they just cut the meat and put it in a box as opposed to cutting and wrapping the meat. If I were to have them process, I guess I would only have them cut the meat and I take the meat home and wash and wrap the meat myself. I'm strange when it comes to handling and washing raw meat. I have to have raw meat washed. I would be paranoid that they wouldn't wash the meat before wrapping it. Is anyone else like that about washing raw meat?

Washing raw meat is a good idea. I read that simply rinsing it actually removes a lot of surface bacteria. I usually rinse and pat dry all the meat I cook (except for ground meat!)

Quote:
Unless they are old, it wont effect the flavor of the meat.
If it's already an old Ram, it's too late anyway
Breed also makes a difference. "Hair sheep" have a milder flavor than wool breeds. It largely depends on how much of a "lamb flavor" you prefer.

I dont neuter mine most of the time

Quote:
Unless they are old, it wont effect the flavor of the meat.
If it's already an old Ram, it's too late anyway
Breed also makes a difference. "Hair sheep" have a milder flavor than wool breeds. It largely depends on how much of a "lamb flavor" you prefer.

I dont neuter mine most of the time

Thanks Bear Foot Farm.

The ram is less than 2 years old. And he is a barbado, so he is a hair sheep.

Back
Top Bottom