Processing for 1st time

The most we've done in one day is 8, but we've hit upon 4 to 6 as our optimal number. From set up to clean up, that amount takes us 1.5 to 2 hours (we hand pluck as well), and we can get it all done before breakfast and while it is still cool out. It's easier to age them in the fridge and, if you are doing meat birds, spreading out the butchering over a few weeks gives you more control over the carcass size. You can let the runts grow out, etc.

The most we've done in one day is 8, but we've hit upon 4 to 6 as our optimal number. From set up to clean up, that amount takes us 1.5 to 2 hours (we hand pluck as well), and we can get it all done before breakfast and while it is still cool out. It's easier to age them in the fridge and, if you are doing meat birds, spreading out the butchering over a few weeks gives you more control over the carcass size. You can let the runts grow out, etc.
I second that plan. I was wiped out with 15, as a first time Cornish raiser. The next time was with some Buff Orpingtons, and only 3. Much better~:hmm But the Cornish were far superior for meat birds.

I wonder if you couldn't put the processed birds in a large garbage bag and set the bag down in the ice water? Or let them soak in ice water long enough to chill, then transfer to garbage bag in the icewater to stay cold? I've only done 3 in one day, set one each into those basins you get at the hospital and put this into a dorm sized refrigerator in the garage. Worked for me.

I wonder if you couldn't put the processed birds in a large garbage bag and set the bag down in the ice water? Or let them soak in ice water long enough to chill, then transfer to garbage bag in the icewater to stay cold? I've only done 3 in one day, set one each into those basins you get at the hospital and put this into a dorm sized refrigerator in the garage. Worked for me.
I just laid them on top of the ice like a fish.

This is exactly how we do it. I give them their regular, late afternoon feeding and then leave them with just water over night. First thing in the morning, I transfer them to a little holding pen near our butchering set-up, give them some scratch, and start processing. The crops are empty, save for a little scratch, and we never noticed any unusually messiness with whatever is left in their digestive system. Personally, I'd rather not stress the birds out unnecessarily by withholding food for 24 or more hours.

We only do 6 or so at a time, so I've always chilled/rested in the fridge. I think others have used the ice water bins and it's worked out for them.
Dittos on the stress thing. We let them have their regular routine and only do a few at a time. :thumbsup

Then give a tablespoon of scratch grain 15 minutes before slitting throat,
so crop is easier to find and remove.
Good point.
I always did not feed for less mess. Lol, you'd think I would remember the crop, shrinks tight to the skin and , can be missed. Having something in there sure does make it easier to remove.

Resting time is super duper important. Huge biggly difference in tenderness. I didn't know this when I first started processing birds many times. It makes a huge difference. I usually go three days in a extra fridge we have. You can fit many birds in your main fridge if need be, throw some stuff out lol.

If you are letting them rest, put them in brine. After processing, I put 2 in brine in the frig. 3 days later into the rotisserie and time to eat. The rest went to the freezer.

I brined quail. Froze and then ate. Worked well.

I need to do 9 either tonight or as soon as I can get it done and totally don't have refrigerator space for them. So, I'm going to part them out, then vacuum seal the parts and chuck in a cooler of ice water, should do the trick. That way I can rest a full three days. And I usually bag the backs and wing tips together (or whole wings for these slim old layers) so I can make stock, those can go straight into the freezer since we aren't "eating" them.

Of course, that means I'll need to run to town for ice since I haven't remembered any of the days I was there. Bah

Back
Top Bottom