Processing method question

JesWith3

Songster
Jul 25, 2022
When processing quail, we cut the heads clean off and this is acceptable.
When processing chickens, cutting heads off is less than desireable because...blood in the meat? Off taste, etc.
Why and how so?
Why do I never see people mentioning the use of very sharp sheers to quickly and humanely CUT the head off?
The bird still flops around, does this not pump the blood out sufficiently?
Does ANYONE cut heads off of chickens with scissors/sheers?

I use scissors for chicks I have to cull.
I used limb loppers for turkeys. I used to for chickens but now I use PVC pipe cutter
Screenshot_20230405-191412.png

....I do turkeys, rabbits, and ducks.
I made a custom “bunny popper” and tbh I use it for all processing needs at this point.
The critters are absolutely not stressed, and it is a very fast, efficient, and reliable method for us.
As soon as they are dispatched, they are hung upside down and bled out before further processing.
Yes, the birds do flap a bit sometimes.... but it seems less scary for them (to me) to not be dumped upside down into a cone....
We just cut off any damaged muscle in the neck as we continue processing, as any “damage” is right at the base of the skull.

I’m absolutely open to other’s thoughts on what is “best”.

So, chickens and ducks are a more logical comparison.... for obvious (size related) reasons.

I don’t think that clippers would be able to cut the spine and all tissues
-100% reliably-
Esp if your chickens are on the larger side.
I would be more inclined to go with the tried and true cone and very very sharp knife if I had chickens to process.

I hate processing days, but do love the results. My goal is always to make it happen in as stress free, fast, and absolutely reliable process as I possibly can.

Best luck 😊
I look forward to seeing other comments as well.

I use scissors for chicks I have to cull.
I used limb loppers for turkeys. I used to for chickens but now I use PVC pipe cutter
View attachment 3553403
Thank you! I was beginning to think I was the only one with the idea LOL
Have you noticed the meat tasting "off", as others have said??
Also, these pvc cutters...is the movement one swift "chop" or are they like my pvc cutters that move in increments(like a pumping motion)? I don't want any animal to suffer at my hands by going at all slow. Thanks again!

Thank you! I was beginning to think I was the only one with the idea LOL
Have you noticed the meat tasting "off", as others have said??
Also, these pvc cutters...is the movement one swift "chop" or are they like my pvc cutters that move in increments(like a pumping motion)? I don't want any animal to suffer at my hands by going at all slow. Thanks again!
I didn't notice any difference in taste.
These are not racheting, that would be horrible. One quick movement. Sometimes skin holds the head on.

I didn't notice any difference in taste.
These are not racheting, that would be horrible. One quick movement. Sometimes skin holds the head on.
Phew! Gotcha. I couldn't think of that word (racheting) to save my life!! lol Thanks so much for all of your input and help!

What do you use for your turkeys, not to hijack the thread, but curious 🧐
I have a extra large metal cone but it's hard for me to lift the big ones in there. I'm just over 5ft and old lol
I tape their ankles and lay them on their chest. When they calm down, I gently hold their feet with my foot, reach down with loppers and lop off the head.

Back
Top Bottom