Processing pics from Chickenstock today!

Looks like a good learning time!

Interesting that the younger ones were harder to pluck. I usually scald birds that are under 4 months old in water about 140F for a minute. Older birds I up it to 160 for a minute.

Its horrible that you did it in view of the other chickens LOL I see them looking scared in the backround
lol.png
oh actually that buff orph roo is probably saying yes there goes the compitition
lol.png

Quote:
I felt really wierd trying to show everyone how to do something I was still learning
myself. The scalding time thing came up. What has worked well for me is 145 degrees
for 30 seconds. I never considered the size of the bird to be much of a factor.

We culled one 8 week old nasty Aracana mut, an 11 week old Buckeye, a 13 week old
RIR mix, and 2 EE's that hatched around November. The EE's were around 4 pounds
max.

Quote:
That's exactly what he was saying. The two EE roos were brutalizing his roos.
That Buff is Rudy, my old Buff Jimmy's brother.

Thanks to PP for photographing that event and making this post. That's a big
compliment to me. Everyone just jumped in and took turns. Mr MooseHillFarm
and Moodusnewchick both took turns swinging the hatchet for thier first times.
Drumstick was showing off for the crowd too.

Chickensista & (someone remind me of her screen name - I believe dedern) analyzed each
organ like it was a science project. Intellegent minds wanna know.

Nice job everyone.

Last edited:
Quote:
No problem PC, you did a great job showing us all how to do it, it was much better and more effient then reading about it or watching a video. When we have our coop building party bring a few roo's, we've got plenty of stumps in out yard, but next time I wanna swing the hatchet
wink.png

OK... so, now, the next part of the process is how you prepare them for the freezer so they don't turn into chicken-flavored leather...
smile.png
Please share?
Our meat birds are wonderful, but I can't figure out how get our past-their-prime layers to soften up.
What do you guys do to prepare the chicken for the table?! Please?

Back
Top Bottom