Processing the Packing Peanuts Warning: Graphic Photos Updated pg 2

Yep nice job i have a few I have to do when I can get the DH out there to help me...Sometimes I skin them and sometimes I dont ...it just depends on my mood at the time...and what I will be using them for...the only thing I hate about doing it is the smell...it takes me a while till I'm ready to do it again... again NICE JOB!!

I wanted to follow up and show you one of the chickens I roasted for supper last night. He was delicious! I also made macaroni and cheese, fresh english peas and potato rolls with butter. My 19 month old ate every bite of his chicken. My husband, a first time home grown chicken eater, loved it. He really was good!

chickendinner.jpg

It wasn't tough at all. I put it in the fridge for 24 hours in a salt water brine. Then I slow roasted at 325 in a sealed dish until the juices ran clear. Then I uncovered it and let it brown. It was great chicken.

I didn't measure. I filled the bag with water and poured in some salt to the water and shook it all up and put it all in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours - much the same way I soak dove and geese when my husband hunts.

We have so many birds around here that it isn't funny. Next spring when they are all grown I know we will have to cull some. My main concern is that I cannot eat chicken of any kind since I was pregnant. There were only a few things that I COULD eat when I was pregnant and chicken strips were one of them, well for a while. When I was 7 months pregnant I ate chicken strips and then threw my toenails up the rest of the night, since then it makes me sick to even hear someone mention KFC. That's been almost 3 years ago. I have read here where everybody says fresh chicken tastes TOTALLY different than grocery store birds so I WANT to try it. GREAT looking birds I might add, they didn't make me too sick to my stomach. LOL!

Miss Prissy, is there anything that you cannot do??? I am always amazed at what you can do!!
clap.gif
Hats off to you. We will be putting some in the freezer, too, and I didn't have a clue as to what to expect. My dh knows what to do but it will be a first for me. Now I know I can do this. Thank you AGAIN.
smile.png

MissPrissy, I am so glad you posted this. I just posted in another thread that I would really like to try raising meat birds and asked for help on how to do it. Your directions and pictures have convinced me to give it a try. Now I just have to convince my BF because he doesn't have the heart for any of this. He just wants the eggs but as far as I'm concerned, chickens are food. So glad I found this site. Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom