Processing the Packing Peanuts Warning: Graphic Photos Updated pg 2

When I was a kid and we 'harvested' roosters, Mom took a twist of newspaper and lit it. Then we passed the plucked chicken back and forth through the flame until the little hairs were singed off. After that she took them inside and washed and cleaned them, so there was no soot left on the skin after that.

lol.png
my hubby never tasted home made mac & Cheese till I made it for him, he loves it - at first I think it didn't taste the way he thought it would.... but he prefers it now to that crap in a box!
I sometimes add meat to my mac & Cheese - then I make it a meal on its own, you can add ham, bacon, chicken - pretty much anything I would think, just mixed up with the noodles and then pour on the cheese sauce. Cheese on top and bake till melted and slightly crisp!

I wish I could process chickens, I'd be THRILLEd to have a freezer full - I'm just.... well ....chicken!

Very nice MissPrissy, you can make my mouth water so easily. I will definitely check you recipes out, not to say that momma rancher is not a great cook, mind you, but your stuff that I have seen is eye candy since thats all I can do is look.

Keep cookin and postin for us never had to much to eat folk out here!

Could you please explain the exact process your husband uses when gutting your fowl. I have butuchered animals before after hunting but I still am a little shaky about cutting around the vent. We have a Tom Turkey that I need to butcher for Christmas dinner.

Thanks for the instructions I will be doing this to my extra rooster in the spring. How did they taste at 19 weeks? to tough or just right?

Henry

Quote:
LOL I agree. These birds were extra cockerals from my spring chicks. I am now raising jumbo cornish x from McMurray. They grow FAST!!

Order the plump meat birds. The extra cockerals can be a little chewy and not as much meat to bone proportions. Mind you now, the texture of home grown birds is different from commercial meat birds.

Hello 'MissPrissy', can you tell me how the meat from homegrown birds is different from commercial? Is is better or different in the way that it takes some getting used to? Just curious...

Thank you!

The meat has a bit of a different texture. It isn't mushy meat. The meat has a stronger but better flavor. The meat isn't plumped up with sodium water and made to look and feel larger than it is. It is hard to discribe exactly how different the meat is. It is better meat and the plus side is you know what into the bird and that it had a good life while you raised it. Not to mention it is a cleaner meat not having lived in its own or other birds poop until its chest and belly feathers rotted off. Sorry to be blunt but factory birds do not have a good life.

Miss Prissy, I always find your posts entertaining or educational or just interesting! thank you for sharing your knowledge...as for potato rolls "James Beard on Bread" has an excellant recipe for potato rolls that I use in my high culinary arts class...my dh has potato rolls with his honey:p

Back
Top Bottom