Producer's Pride Defender Chicken Coop

@jbf16falcon How many chickens do you have? This looks great. Did you make an apron of hw cloth along the bottom?
Bottom inside has 2’ high hardware cloth added. There will be 8 hens and their roo (Ameraucanas self-blue) in each end pen/coop and center 10 X 15 will have a coop added outside it, top protected and made into a growout pen. looking at adding another PP and kennel for adding black Ameraucanas but will wait for next sale. Currently 5 Roos and 4 hens A. Self-Blue from day olds this spring. Still learning every day.

The only reason I asked about the hw cloth apron is because it protects against digging predators (dogs fall into this category). I've seen it attached to the bottom of runs like yours with zip ties or metal clips of some sort. On mine, I just have it so that about a foot of hw cloth goes up and the other foot over the ground. I've read that you can use any sort of welded wire - it may last longer than hw cloth.

I have four hens/pullets that I am integrating so this will be great. It’s on sale now for $949 so may not be able to wait for the $799 sale. Thanks for all the posts. If you have a chance or someone can get pics (heal fast!!) of your predator proofing as I only want to put it around the perimeter and would like to see how it fits. Thanks so much for all the info:)

Modification tips: 1. I'm installing Ondura corrugated roof sheets to the coop/nesting sections. 2. I'm installing a finer mesh hardware cloth around the base of the run fencing (secured with zip ties) to prevent predators from reaching in. 3. I'm skirting poultry wire on the ground 2' around the run/coop and securing it with garden staples to prevent predators from digging their way in. 4. I'm drilling additional ventilation holes because the small vent window seems inadequate.

Modification tips: 1. I'm installing Ondura corrugated roof sheets to the coop/nesting sections. 2. I'm installing a finer mesh hardware cloth around the base of the run fencing (secured with zip ties) to prevent predators from reaching in. 3. I'm skirting poultry wire on the ground 2' around the run/coop and securing it with garden staples to prevent predators from digging their way in. 4. I'm drilling additional ventilation holes because the small vent window seems inadequate.
Hog rings are way more convenient than zip ties and no more expensive even buying the $9 pliers to set them.

I know it's been a long time since there was activity on this thread but I'm hoping someone can update their satisfaction with the PP coop? My question is about wood swelling of the coop. After a year's use, does it still open and close properly and isn't rotting or molding? And does anyone know what time of year it tends to go on sale? Thanks

I have the Producers Pride Defender coop. I bought 4 of them and put them together. I use the doors as access to different parts of the coop and the chickens love it. I wanted to buy more roof to extend it more, but they won't sell me any. They are very good at replacing things that are bent or broke. Just call their number and they will ship it to you. I would never buy the house that goes with the coop. It is not fit for more than 6 chickens and it falls apart quickly. Also it doesn't seem safe. I covered part of this large 24' by 24' coop with heavy duty tarps I found at Home Depot. It seems to work. So if you want it bigger, than buy an entire new coop and connect them. It is worth it.

I've read and learned a lot. And I've specifically read what's been written about this coop http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...vrrp=0519_5_0/reviews/product/2/116823999.htm
But that's the coop and run i am working with.

Reality: I've got 23 chicks from McMurrays in 2 brooders. 13 are frying pan specials and the remaining are suppose to be hens. Each hen is a different breed, but all were rated as cold hearty. I received them on march 1, so they are 3 weeks old. I'm in central Missouri.

My thoughts are to move my meat birds to the coop on April 1 and wait until after they have been moved to the freezer to move my girls out. That's still 10 girls growing up in a coop that many on here agree is only ultimately large enough for half that many. They are big girls, not bantams.

2 big questions:

1. Someone on here made the comment that this coop would need a lot of work before it's ready for chickens. Before i kick my boys out, could you elaborate please? I plan to coat the outside with water seal. And i plan to make close inspection for areas where wood may not have come together correctly, and caulk it well. Ventilation seems ok. I may change out the roosting bars. As small chicks, they have all preferred tree branches or the sides of 2" lumber ,,, but they hate slick finished dowels. I'll see what they like closer to time of transfer, and I'll move their bars with them. I plan to block the nesting boxes from the hens until they are ready to lay, but do i need to block them from the boys when they have run of the place before the girls? I haven't peeked inside for awhile...might need to paint with a glossy paint to keep it easier to clean. What am i missing? What else is wrong or could be better about this coop?

2. When my girls get moved out, how long before they outgrow this? I'm considering closing in the bottom area (covered feeding area) and providing interior access to it. This would basically double the size for them. Problems you see with this plan? Ultimately i want to add a converted shed and another run in such a way as to have this area able to be incorporated or, when necessary, easily separated into a quarantine area. But i was kinda hoping to put off expansion until fall?

Frankly, i didnt know whether the chicken thing was for me. We live on many acres, but we don't have any extra sheds. Looking through classifieds, used coops were gross. I could start with a converted shed, but I'd be buying new or nearly new and converting with no experience as far as what works and what doesn't. That could be a time killing money pit....not likely to encourage me to keep going. I figured if i hated the birds, a fresh new coop with upgrades would easily resell. If i loved them, having a clean start would make it easier and give me something to add to. So far, i love them. I wanted 6, but min order was 25. Since i figured on several deaths and more than half were meat birds headed quickly for the freezer, i thought maybe I'd end up with 8. More is fine ... If i can find room. And I'm eager to turn their pre-fab shell into a lovely home for them.

Ok,i know many here dislike pre-fab....with good reason....so let me have it. I'm tough, i can handle it. Lol. I'm really looking forward to your advice.
We just joined the forum and are newbies to all this. Turns out we're planning to buy the same Producer's Pride Defender from TSC that you reviewed and probably get chickens from Murray McMurray. I noticed that you stopped posting, but we're hoping you can give us an update on the coop and run and how your chickens are progressing. We are in central NC, halfway between South Carolina and Virginia off I-77 and I-40. Our winters are milder than yours and we have little if any snow. Summers are hot, humid and sunny, but out coop will be in the shade until 2:00 and we can easily run electric and water to it. We plan to get Red Star pullets or chicks with a couple of roosters. Anyway if you can a few minutes and update we would appreciate. Have a blessed day. Tom and Michele

We just joined the forum and are newbies to all this. Turns out we're planning to buy the same Producer's Pride Defender from TSC that you reviewed and probably get chickens from Murray McMurray. I noticed that you stopped posting, but we're hoping you can give us an update on the coop and run and how your chickens are progressing. We are in central NC, halfway between South Carolina and Virginia off I-77 and I-40. Our winters are milder than yours and we have little if any snow. Summers are hot, humid and sunny, but out coop will be in the shade until 2:00 and we can easily run electric and water to it. We plan to get Red Star pullets or chicks with a couple of roosters. Anyway if you can a few minutes and update we would appreciate. Have a blessed day. Tom and Michele
They haven't been on since 2017
Screenshot_20210425-144919.png

Back
Top Bottom