Production Black? What is it?

Do you know what kind of heritage breeds make Production Black hybrids?

They don't say it on their website, but they got them by crossing white leghorns and brown leghorns. I know this because that's the information they used to publish in their catalog.

White Leghorns are dominant white, but most strains carry the barring gene hidden underneath that white. So if you cross White Leghorns with a non-barred breed, and then mate the resulting offspring together, chances are strong you will end up with some barred birds. That's how Ideal ended up with barred leghorns, which they call Production Blacks.

They don't say it on their website, but they got them by crossing white leghorns and brown leghorns. I know this because that's the information they used to publish in their catalog.

White Leghorns are dominant white, but most strains carry the barring gene hidden underneath that white. So if you cross White Leghorns with a non-barred breed, and then mate the resulting offspring together, chances are strong you will end up with some barred birds. That's how Ideal ended up with barred leghorns, which they call Production Blacks.
Where did you find this information?
Most of this is incorrect.

If you breed a White Leghorn to say a Black Breasted there offspring will be White
If you then a White Male and back cross him to his Dam then there offspring will come;
White Males and Females
Black Males and Females
Pyle Males and Females
Black Breasted Red Males and Females

You will get the same "colors" if you cross siblings together.

Last edited:

I've ordered chicks from Ideal Poultry for several decades now (and I'm not saying that it was never so), but I don't remember ever seeing this claim about Production Blacks in their catalog. Ideal's current claim about Production Blacks is as follows (exact quote): "They (Production Blacks) are a combination of several breeds but are basically a black, silver barred plumage bird, which has a plumage color pattern similar to Barred Plymouth Rocks." From http://www.idealpoultry.com/item.html

Production Black Cickens were developed by Ideal Poultry in the early 1960's. They are a combination of several breeds with black, and silver barred feathers, with a color pattern similar to Barred Rocks. They are very efficient white egg producers which breed true; however, they are not an APA recognized breed. You can get them from Ideal Poultry in Cameron, TX (http://www.idealpoultry.com/index.html).
Are production blacks a sex linked breed? I read that “production” in the name indicates a sex link breed. Is that correct?

Back
Top Bottom