production down, numbers don't add up

I would eliminate the area that they're choosing to use for laying, make it so they can't get there. And cull the BOs and run some fecals. I would not drop them to a 16% feed, I'm happier with 18% (though I'm surprised they call that a gamebird, usually gamebird is 22%+). If they're free ranging in your yard, are you sure there aren't hidden nests elsewhere?

Some improvement though I think I also still have a mite problem; though I haven't seen any on their bodies, several of the buff orpingtons are showing signs of feather damage.

I wanted to ask folks about some permethrin I bought to use on our clothes for tick protection; can the liquid permethrin be sprayed on for similar protection as the dust? If so, what should be the dilution?

Can it also then be used effectively in the coop, in similar fashion?

I use liquid concentrate permethrin meant for livestock, not sure the dilution on it. That can be sprayed on birds and premises, yes. Or you can even put it in a bucket and dip them. Not knowing what's in your clothing product, I really can't say.

Some improvement though I think I also still have a mite problem; though I haven't seen any on their bodies, several of the buff orpingtons are showing signs of feather damage.

I wanted to ask folks about some permethrin I bought to use on our clothes for tick protection; can the liquid permethrin be sprayed on for similar protection as the dust? If so, what should be the dilution?

Can it also then be used effectively in the coop, in similar fashion?
I would not assume feather loss is from mites...especially with using lighting and tight coop space. Fully assess feather loos/damage first.

Duly noted, not to jump to conclusions. I will have another look this evening but I have not yet seen any tell-tale mite or lice sign. Just a handful of birds with ragged feathers and more than a handful with bare heads-which could simply be the result of pecking, as many of them are the younger birds.

If I have to fumigate, I have Sawyer brand permethrin insect repellent 0.5% permethrin, not sure if this is the right strength.

As for bedding, the thing is, I have always used shavings and then switched mid-winter to straw and then more recently to hay. I like the way hay stays nice and fluffy while the shavings quickly pulverize. I was warned about mites in straw but by that point I had already switched. Maybe time to switch back.

Thanks again to all for input.

Mites may harbor in straw if they are already in the coops,
but I don't think you can bring them in with a bale.

If I have to fumigate, I have Sawyer brand permethrin insect repellent 0.5% permethrin, not sure if this is the right strength.
I linked to a thread earlier that gives dosages. 0.5% is typical I think.

Straw, and hay are different. Straw is hollow inside, which tends to more easily harbor mites. IF you are having problems with mites, I suggest this: https://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-Multi-Purpose-Insecticide-8oz/dp/B001EVKCKM?th=1

To teat the birds, I use 1.3 oz. per gallon of luke warm water in a tote, and dip them. In winter when you don't want the birds wet, use dust. I use the same dilution in my sprayer for the coop, and lightly spray nesting material too, although for a heavy infestation, you can increase the strength for spraying the coop, but don't use the higher concentration on the nesting material. Remove all feeders, and waterers prior to spraying, and let it dry before letting birds back into the coop. I follow up in 7 days. For heavier infestation, follow up again in 7 days, so you've sprayed it 3 times, instead of 2.

For what it's worth, straw can come with mites. My friend got a load for her pigs that was just full of mites. But, I don't know exactly what KIND of mites those were, so it may not be that significant.

Back
Top Bottom