Production Hens biting the dust one by one

I'm not sure how big your scoop is but I have 10 girls that get about a third to a half a cup of scratch and not every day. I used to give them more but since doing necropsies on birds fed too much scratch, I am much more judicious with it now. A scoop seems like it might be a lot of scratch to me even between 18 birds.

Necropsies are really the only way to establish what your birds die of and I find it fascinating to perform them myself once you get over the emotional trauma of losing the bird. If you feel that you are able to try this yourself with the next bird that dies, take plenty of photos both of the organs in situ and then removed and post them here. There are several of us that are getting more experienced at knowing what is normal and what is not and it is surprising how often we can come up with a probable diagnosis after discussing it.

Yeah, I agree daily scratch is not my first choice and hasn't always been the case, just since they've been confined these last few weeks. This is my husband and his spoiling because they "call to him". The one who didn't want chickens... LOL!
I've asked him to limit that a little more to just a few days per week. They do eat their layer feed happily as their first choice and the eggs are all nice, hard shelled and clean.
The one Cinnamon currently on her way out is having yellow poop like egg yolk , just like the others. She is a bit of a pig so it's possible she has fatty organs as well as EYP. I did want to open her up just so I can make sure it's EYP. I'm not an expert on bird anatomy and hopefully I won't nick the organs up too much for some decent pics.

My husband said the scratch is about a cup and not every day because he forgets sometimes. Sigh... He agreed to cut back on that. Also, I don't worm my hens, just ACV, yogurt and probiotics, extra if I start to see dirty eggs or signs of loose poops.
I do want to know if there is something going on besides the sad perils of sex lknked hens. I'll send pics if possible.

Unless you actually see roundworms or maybe tapeworms, the only way to know is to have fecals run at your veterinarian's office. Doing that occasionally can be helpful. some of us have very seldom had worm issues, and others aren't so lucky!
Mary

So my girl finally passed this evening. When she died she was passing what appeared to be crushef boiled egg and a red rubbery looking thing. Based on that I was certain it was EYP. I didn't have the appropriate tools so I had to use a razor knife. Atrached are pics. No doubt it was EYP. Poor thing had tp have been so miserable. I exposed the organs as best I could without butchering with my carpet knife, the only sharp enough . Not much fat on her organs so no fatty liver.

Attachments

• 20180904_201442.jpg
    20180904_201442.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180904_201451.jpg
    20180904_201451.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180904_201458.jpg
    20180904_201458.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 24
I'm so sorry you lost her but relieved that she is no longer suffering. That had to be very uncomfortable for her. Those masses are referred to as "lash egg" and are as a result of Salpingitis.... an infection of the oviduct, not EYP. They impact the oviduct and the bird has no hope of "laying" them and they eventually press on the other organs and cause death. There was nothing you could have done for her so hopefully that is some consolation and the necropsy gives you some peace of mind in that respect..... well done for having the gumption to do it and thanks for posting photos..... it helps others learn.
I don't have any special tools for necropsies. In fact, I use a pair of small and very cheap scissors most of the time and an ordinary kitchen knife. It doesn't need to be that sharp since they are no longer capable of feeling pain and less sharp means less likely to cut through something you don't mean to...... although I do usually palpitate and then cut open the gut to check for worms, but I leave that job until last because it's messy and smelly.

I hope it is a long time before you need to repeat this experience. Sadly reproductive ailments like this are pretty common, particularly in high production birds over 2 years old. :(

Thank you. She was the 3rd one who died this way, and it was good to know that she and the others didn't have something contagious. I thought EYP looked like this too, from some of the YouTube videos I watched. That is what some claimef and I did see some for lash egg and Salpingitis but they still referred to them as EYP. What you say makes sense. I learned something even more today, thank you!
She also had eggyolk flowing out of her as well but that makes sense too uf her ovaduct us infected. The Buff I lost on the laying box left nothing but egg yolk and I saw some broken eggs before she became sick. I chalked it up to an older BR who never lays anything but soft or shelless eggs, no matter what she eats or how much calcium she's given. Ironically she lives on without an issue. She also lays so infrequently, that probably helps!
I still have 2 more younger sex linked my husband picked up last year and I'll be watching them. It's a real shame because their personality is curious and friendly and they are otherwise healthy. The first of the 3 used to sit on our laps. I could never have done this with her. I'll know the signs now and I also hope I won't see anymore for a long time!
P.S. great idea about the shears. I yave them and kitchen shears too, all really dull. Just a few more tasks for hubby!

Thanks for your support and encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom