Production Hens biting the dust one by one

Yes, Salpingitis is often misdiagnosed on You Tube videos as EYP. Peritonitis is an infection of the peritoneal cavity. It occurs with internal laying.... which is where ripe follicles(egg yolks) are released from the ovary during ovulation but fail to travel into the oviduct and instead drop into the abdominal cavity. This may be due to a misalignment perhaps due to a build up of fat or a physical trauma or the oviduct being impacted with lash egg due to salpingitis. It may be that your bird also had EYP but it is not easily identified in that photo. The lash egg caused by salpingitis is the very obvious mass though and would be the cause of death in my opinion.

I know what you mean about red sex links. They are much more bold and curious birds than many other breeds, which makes it all the more sad that they have been used for battery farms. Our intensive breeding of such animals for our farming industry reflects badly on mankind I think.

I agree. It makes me angry that over breeding and frankly irresponsible breeding has done this. I feel the same about some dog breeds.

Back
Top Bottom