Production Red vs. Rhode Island Red

I always consider Production Reds as 90% of all "Rhode Island Reds" you see: Hatchery RIRs.
wink.png

REAL Rhode Island Reds, you can't go wrong with, as even Chris said. . . Beautiful birds, great egg laying, and a LOT more meat for dual purpose use as they were originally bred for.
wink.png

here are pics. of a production red versus the true rhode island red. I love the dark mahogany color of the true rhode islands! Both types have been calm and gentle birds for me. For years I did not even realize there was a difference..

farmanimals024.jpg

andturkeys008.jpg

Quote:
I don't know about a lot of RIR's but the ones I have had have been VERY nice birds. Even my rooster is nice and only gets upset if something bothers his ladies. He is very protective of his flock, but had never even acted like he wanted to flog me or anyone in my familv. Actually he will run up to us, while calling all his ladies, looking for a handful of corn. My flock loves corn and I feed it to them as a treat daily.

Yes, we have recently had an Amish community relocate to around our neighborhood. It has really surprised me that they also look for the cheapest, most productive sex links that they can find. They order huge numbers from the hatcheries throughout the spring and summer. I would have thought that they would be interested in dual purpose breeds that naturally go broody. I mean, since they don't use electricity, they cannot reliably incubate. As stocked up and prepared as they are in other areas, you would think they would want a flock that they could perpetuate on their own. I asked some that we are friends with about this. He just sort of shrugged and said he figured they could always get them from the hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom