1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

production red?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by florida chickenz, Apr 26, 2011.

1. florida chickenz

florida chickenz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    is a production red the same as a red sex link?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    No.

Production Reds usually refer to Rhode Island Red x New Hampshire, or they refer to hatchery type Rhode Island Reds.

3. florida chickenz

florida chickenz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    ohhh thanks for the reply

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I have seen a bird seller that was calling sex-links "Production Reds." You really have to ask them specifically how the bird was bred to know for sure. "Production Red" can be and sometimes is a very malleable term.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The true Production Red (hatchery Rhode Island Red) can come in two different lines, the first of the two was bred solely from the R.I. Red as with the New Hampshire but was bred more for the egg production.
    The second type of Production Red is a R.I. Red with some Leghorn blood added to add to the egg production and may have added to the brown-ish color of some of the Production Red that some hatcheries call there, "Dark Rhode Island Reds".

Now there are some hatcheries calling there Rhode Island Red/ New Hampshire cross a "Production Red" and to me there just another hybrid (cross) and not relay a Production Red.

Chris

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Illia, ATHagan,and Crhis09 all hit the nail on the head as to what could possibly be called a "production red". IMO I like the term "mallealble" that was used, it's about the right terminolgy. I say its more like "loosely" or as Chris once said instead of "production red" he called them " industrial reds". Heck even TSC now just advertises them as Red Layers, and that's just about as close as a discription that fits their actual breed(type). Anyway on a good note if lots of big brown eggs is what your are in the market for these will fill the bill for sure. I just love mine, they match the GSL's and any other "hybrid" layer I've ever had or have, egg for egg. [​IMG]

Jeff

PS to answer the original ? Yes they can be red sex-links(not gold sex-links, there's a difference) if that is what the breeder/hatchery advertises and sells as "production reds".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by