Production Reds

My pure RIRs never attach but can do the leg scratching thing towards you but never attack. As for the production reds I would say it is because they have such high testosterone levels. The males are aggressive breeders which is wanted by the people who have the breeder flocks.

A person told me today the reason her production reds where so mean she thinks is they have leghorn blood mixed into them to help them lay so much. Those dark Rhode Island Reds she told me or the real R I Reds are never mean to her or her grand children. She said they are down right docile.

Can not figure out which kind to own. Lots of eggs and mean roosters or docile roosters and less eggs. Maybe eggs should not be a issue with Rhode Island reds any way.

any breed made is a breed rather recognized by a organization or not rhode islands are dark mohogany red . Production red is a breed in its own it may be mixed but all birds are mixed to become a particular breed. Like my grandmother used to say everything has to come from something . You have a red sexlink production reds take longer to begin laying from 6to9 months but are very productive when they begin . If a hatchery says they are pro red then that is the breed same as if it were some other breed . Privet breeders are different . I deal with buffs rhode island reds productions barred rocks cukoos and games of all type . What you have is a sexlink . Pro reds are actually red in color . Rhode island mohogany . Sexlink golden . Privette hatchery and cackle has pictures and breed info about every breed they sale and what breeds were crossed to become what todays breed is . Stick with those hatcheries their very trust worthy family own for 4 generations

Put your trust in the rhode island reds they go broody they have long bloodlines with stability and although they may nit produce like pro reds they are one of the only breeds i know with huge eggs with double yolks i get them 2 time a week they lay 6 days a week sometimes 5 .

Put your trust in the rhode island reds they go broody they have long bloodlines with stability and although they may nit produce like pro reds they are one of the only breeds i know with huge eggs with double yolks i get them 2 time a week they lay 6 days a week sometimes 5 .
About 7 years ago when I still lived on a farm I had about 10 PR. I quite often would find a double yolk when cracking their eggs open. About once every week actually. They did produce very well also, but never went broody, even with two Roosters. Maybe they had some RIR bloodlines in them, never can be sure.

So I have a question now that I've read comments lol
New here, I ask a lot. ;)
Anyways, I have 5 Pro Reds & someone had told me they were hybrids from a Rhode Island Red x New Hampshire Red. I'm guessing this is just one of several combos that can produce a Pro Red. Also, would a red sex link be a pro red then? Sorry if that sounds silly to ask, but I'm learning & I want to know the right things.

They are not RIR x NH, they are red sex links. Their genetics are more complicated than a simple cross

I have trouble telling the difference between my 3 NH and 2 PR hens. Actually, I don't just have trouble. I have no idea which is which.

Am I alone here?

Richard in Neenach, California

My PR has flew the coop lol ok the brooder, but still it's funny that I found her out all by her big girl self.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom