Products i've tried recently- Furazone and 1 Eye 1 Drop 1 Time

Badhbh

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
A coupel of reviews.. i've had a lot of emergencies at my house lately, so i've gotten more educated about this stuff
big_smile.png

Furazone- about $10 at TSC
I had to get this when Ghandi got his back torn up by the stray dog. It's in a huge brown can, and is a bright yellow goo. It says that it's only for horses, but I put it on a HUGE deep running wound, and it helped tremendously. It treats infections that are already going on, and prevents infections from happening. No smell really, but it runs all over when it gets warm- i.e. on a chickens back. It's like it gets a little runny when it's melty. Thus it got in his feathers all around the injury. Not harmful, but it does make him look like a greasy bohunk
smile.png
Love the stuff.

1 Drop 1 Eye 1 Time- about $27 at poultrymansupply.com
This stuff is absolutely AMAZING!!! It really is one drop treatment. I had several chicks with eye issues. I don't know if it was a cold or what, but their eyes were all stuck shut, puss filled and nasty. I didn't think that they were going to make it because they couldn't see to eat or drink. ChickenCop brought his over and I gave each chick one drop in each eye, and the next day it was cleared up. Complely gone. I don't know what's in it, and I can't find any reference to the stuff anywhere online. But dang. It's good stuff. I've tried the neosporin route and the antibiotics in the water. This has them beat.

So there you go. Just a couple of the things that i've had a chance to use in the last couple of weeks.

* Love the reviews!!! Maybe we could consider a regular "TRIED IT ON THE CHICKENS" forum, and come up with a rating system for products. I wondered about the furazone ointment-- wish they'd put out a smallish tube of it. Would've been nice to have known about the eye drop when Miss Chook took that possum hit, too. Lucky you!!!
wink.png

Last edited:
Good to know. One thing I want to mention is be careful using wound ointments and other meds for horses and dogs on your birds. Even if it seems to be full of all natural stuff, it may kill your birds. For instance, anything with a "caine" ending, like lidocaine or benzocaine, can be fatal.

d.k :

* Love the reviews!!! Maybe we could consider a regular "TRIED IT ON THE CHICKENS" forum, and come up with a rating system for products. I wondered about the furazone ointment-- wish they'd put out a smallish tube of it. Would've been nice to have known about the eye drop when Miss Chook took that possum hit, too. Lucky you!!!
wink.png

Great idea. That way we would know whether some of this stuff is worth spending our money on or not.
I ordered some of the eye drops yesterday after reading this thread. It was $24 at poultrymansupply.com. And I got free shipping I guess because my order totalled over a certain amount. (I ordered a few other meds.) Not a bad price if it works as well as Badhbh says. I hope so. I get kinda tired of applying and re-applying ointments.

Thanks Badhbh,

Paula​

I love Furazone or sometimes you will find it under the name Furason. I have used it for many years, but a few of years ago I found out that also contains a carcinogen. Mammary and ovarian cancer in test animals. I only apply it with gloves now. And am undecided if I will buy more of it in the future. It works wonderfully for healing and keeping flies off injuries, and doesn't freeze into a solid block during the cold weather here.

Yep I wash thoroughly or use gloves with it. It has a giant warning on the label. It was worth the extra trouble though- the stuff is good.

Poultryman needs to pay you to be his spokesperson!

I went ahead and ordered the eye drops since I have a hen with an eye infection that won't clear up. Poor girl, I have been rinsing it out with saline & applying terramycin eye ointment for over a week, but the infected bit of matter won't budge. Let's pray that this 1 Drop stuff will do the job in just 1 Time! I'll let you know how well it works.

And I did go ahead and add more items to get free shipping with a $50 order. They have some items I don't see at our feed store, and for pretty good prices.

Thanks for the info!

SunnySideUp, I hear you. I also have been nursing a hen with an eye infection for about a week now. The Terramycin is just not working. I'm hoping these eye drops work.

Paula

(Not to discredit the original suggestion of where to purchase, but there are other places the eye drops can be purchased that cost less, I just got them elsewhere for $21.50 that included shipping and that was the first place I tried, didnt even look around that hard, as I was in a hurry)
Tina

Back
Top Bottom