Professional Resume Writing - anyone have any experience?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by KellyHM, Dec 28, 2010.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I am a veterinarian and am currently looking for a new job. I've only been out of school a year and a half, so don't have a ton of stuff to put on a resume. I recently wrote a resume and submitted it through a veterinary society website for critique. They basically told me that it's crap (in a very nice way) and that I sound like a lower-level candidate. I know that I'm good at my job, but I also know that I am TERRIBLE at anything that isn't science-based (like writing). They have a service which will work with you and basically overhaul/rewrite your resume, but it costs around $350, which sounds like a lot to me. Any advice would be appreciated and if you happen to do this for a living, that would be amazing!! [​IMG]

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:Hello, I think I am the last one who should say anything, because I am a dirt mover in excavating business, but I honest to God think that the best thing if you can get a small truck and start farm calls on your own, you will have way more fun and way more money. I used to work for someone else for a long time, but when they laied me off, I just started on my own with very little, and since 2003 I am all on my own.

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Shouldn't the college you attended be able to help you with resume writing? My university has an office dedicated to helping graduates polish their resumes and find work.

4. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    Another suggestion is to look at resumes of your competition and see what they're doing. Definitely follow up on any assistance your school can give you. Good luck!

5. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I do all my DH's resumes(construction superintendent) for him, always have. I could help you tweak it. PM me if you're interested. I'm generally good with words and composition.

6. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Supposedly, I write a very, very good resume, at least so I'm told. You can find out from your veterinarian friends what sort of format they prefer in their profession, send me the one they critiqued with their comments, and then it would probably take a couple fairly in depth phone calls between you and me to refine the content.

Since you're starting out, you should think an awful lot about what activities you did in school that gave you an extra edge over others, related activities in addition to school, what extracurricular activities you had in school that helped to shape you into the excellent professional you are, but also, people who can give you professional rather than personal references(bosses, professors, partners on projects), and what sort of position you are applying to, and what they value.

And I'm free, though the phone calls will be on your dime. PM me if you're interested. I am only available for the next two weeks, though, so we'd have to get cracking right away if you're interested.

7. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:$350 is really not a lot for a professional resume. I have written many resumes for people and unless you are my husband it will cost you. It takes many hours for research, wording and getting to know the person you are writing it for IE: interviewing time. If all you are looking for is a little tweaking, then you may get some good advice for free, but if you are looking for a total rewrite, remember, you get what you pay for.

8. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Quote:Your always so nice [​IMG]

9. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Am I the only one suspicious of a service that says "Your resume is crap and btw, we can build you a new one for $350". Of course they would never say it was good.....then they couldn't "sell" you a new one.

I would contact your vet college or old professors.....someone there may be a more accurate review of your work than a place that wants you to pay them to "fix it".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by