Profit with Turkeys for Thanksgiving?

Let's just say, us home raisers have a very difficult time getting any antibiotics. Big poultry farms have a vet on payroll, to prescribe them as needed. Tetracycline is no longer much use for humans due to the Ag industry.
I have no problem raising any of my poultry without the use of any antibiotics. I do not use medicated feeds either.

I have no problem raising any of my poultry without the use of any antibiotics. I do not use medicated feeds either.
Agreed. Well I don’t use medicated feed, and I haven’t used any antibiotics except for treatments for illnesses that they have.

Your birds are raised in a completely different way from the birds in the grocery store. That is what makes them more valuable and worth more when you sell them. Here is a photo from the site I referenced above, how store chickens are raised.
View attachment 2279137
Compare that with your photo. Which bird do you want? That is why your birds should cost more in the market. You will loose money if you try to compete with the big guys on price. Your birds are naturally healthy. You do not even know how to get antibiotics for them. Do what you do, and let people know. They want to eat your birds! @R2elk 's turkeys are so far from the turkey in the store, listen to him on raising home-grown heritage turkey, for sure! As an eater, I rarely eat store turkey, and I want to eat yours -- & and his!
Okay thank you.
Yes, I’ve done tons of research about the meat and laying industries. They’re just awful. 😞
I see what you’re saying now. Though Loretta won’t be eaten, I would want to raise more of her breed for meat. She would be massive if I fed her freely. I feed her 1/4 a cup of feed x2 a day and let her excel use a lot to keep her healthy. But with meat birds, I’ll treat them the same way (except feed freely) and take care of them.

Nice yes.
Although mine have never seen grass ever. Just sand and weeds 😆.
I guess it’s not too different. But I like that it looks like grassView attachment 2279211
But that’s besides the point...
Green stuff! Including bugs! AND LOCAL Florida Sunshine! LOL never met a vegetarian chicken! I do not believe all the marketing hype. Why do they have vets on staff? So they are able to prescribe antibiotics. Never had a chicken vet when we were kids. You home growers do not get that advantage. Just show the photo of your chicken house vs. that photo. Enough said. ;)

Green stuff! Including bugs! AND LOCAL Florida Sunshine! LOL never met a vegetarian chicken! I do not believe all the marketing hype. Why do they have vets on staff? So they are able to prescribe antibiotics. Never had a chicken vet when we were kids. You home growers do not get that advantage. Just show the photo of your chicken house vs. that photo. Enough said. ;)
Yes. I mean, that’s 2 of our coops. But they’re fine. Lol.
I don’t know why anyone would prefer the other option when you have someone raising chickens.
We do have neighbors even though it’s different plots of land. Got new people across the street and perhaps maybe they could try some of our chicken when we raise it. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Attachments

• B44B599E-A38A-4D67-ACF5-CEE217B10428.jpeg
    B44B599E-A38A-4D67-ACF5-CEE217B10428.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 1
One of the members here on the meat thread sells their chicken at a farmer's market. Very nice packages, seem to be doing ok. A lot depends on your presentation. Clean & local matter a lot.

Back
Top Bottom