Progress into coop

I feel I need more nesting boxes bc in feel like they are going to start laying eggs in the yard or something bc not all will have a spot to lay off all the boxes are being used. I guess I don't understand how the laying process goes but as you can see I will be putting roosts thought the entire thing now.

The usual recommendation is 1 nestbox for ever 4-5 hens.

I have 2 boxes for 5 hens and while there is sometimes a line for the favored box I haven't had a floor egg since the last-to-lay pullet stopped being surprised by her egg. :)

The usual recommendation is 1 nestbox for ever 4-5 hens.

I have 2 boxes for 5 hens and while there is sometimes a line for the favored box I haven't had a floor egg since the last-to-lay pullet stopped being surprised by her egg. :)
So the chickens really just lay in the nest, lay their egg, and then leave it? The 6 boxes that I do have is actually more then need still lol

That opens things up nicely! Remember that you will have to run a strip of wood along the front of the nest boxes, 4" tall or so, to make a lip. Otherwise the hens will kick all the bedding out of the boxes and the eggs might even roll out.

You probably want to access the nest box from outside the coop, for collecting eggs. I like a drop down access door because it is easier to make weatherproof than a flip up roof. Like DobieLover has below, only this one is accessed from the storage part of a walk in coop. You'd need a lip of wood on the back too, if you do it this way.
nest box open.jpg

Where are you planning to put the clean out doors? The coop doesn't look tall enough for a human to stand up inside it, so you probably want to make one whole long side open up. It would still be a long reach across the 4 or 5 feet of width.

So the chickens really just lay in the nest, lay their egg, and then leave it? The 6 boxes that I do have is actually more then need still lol
Yup... Each hen will stake a claim in her favorite box, but it’s possible that some boxes will yet sit unused.

One of the funniest things you’ll ever see is the sight of 2, 3 or even 6 :eek:hens all sitting crammed into and stacked atop one another in a single box!!
Having more boxes won’t change things. It’s like the girls decide if Hen #1 likes that box it must be the best...

hen #2:
“hey, scootch over a bit, uh, yeah.... what if I wedge my fanny this way.... hey, watch where you’re sticking that wing... ok... I... think... I’m... almost... squeezed..... in....... there—”
hen #3:
”what’s taking so long in there? Is that back corner taken? I bet I’ll fit back there... no? Then, what if I turn around? Yeah, sure, that’ll work.....”
hen #4:
“Heya girlfriends! What’s up? Anybody seen the shoehorn?”
:gig:lau

That opens things up nicely! Remember that you will have to run a strip of wood along the front of the nest boxes, 4" tall or so, to make a lip. Otherwise the hens will kick all the bedding out of the boxes and the eggs might even roll out.

You probably want to access the nest box from outside the coop, for collecting eggs. I like a drop down access door because it is easier to make weatherproof than a flip up roof. Like DobieLover has below, only this one is accessed from the storage part of a walk in coop. You'd need a lip of wood on the back too, if you do it this way.
View attachment 2613734

Where are you planning to put the clean out doors? The coop doesn't look tall enough for a human to stand up inside it, so you probably want to make one whole long side open up. It would still be a long reach across the 4 or 5 feet of width.

My nests open this way:

1618314781187.png

1618314833732.png

Yes, unless a hen goes broody and tries to hatch chicks all they use the nest box for is laying their eggs. :)
So if I leave the eggs in the nesting box or miss one that is hidden, it will hatch?! I thought there had to be something else done to the egg to get an actual chick from the egg. OMG just typing that I totally am a newbie haha

So if I leave the eggs in the nesting box or miss one that is hidden, it will hatch?! I thought there had to be something else done to the egg to get an actual chick from the egg. OMG just typing that I totally am a newbie haha

First, the egg has to be fertile.

Then a hen actually has to become broody and sit on the nest to incubate it.

Back
Top Bottom