Progress into coop

LaceNewb

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2021
Wellsville, UT
I have been reading up on what everyone has been asking and the responses being given. I have embarked on owning chickens now with my son's girlfriend. We together have 18 chicks. They are in a huge trampoline box with food, water, and a heat lamp while I am building their coop. I want to make sure where I do not have it finished yet that I make any adjustments now before the roof goes on. I have build 18 nesting boxes which I was under the impression this is where they sleep but now I have learned that this is ONLY for egg laying. I will be making adjustments to the coop so that I can block these off while they are still chicks once they get transferred to this. It is 8ft long and 4 ft wide. 12 nests (2 stories) on the main back wall and 6 (2 stories) on one small side wall. I will be putting perches inside the coop after learning this is where they actually sleep. I have 2 chicks now that are able to "fly" out of the box so I'm trying to make all the finishing touches to the coop. Where I live it is still not above 65 degrees so I'm guessing that the heat lamp will need to be put in the coop with them as they adjust to the coop for a couple weeks. I will keep the nesting boxes closed off till they are laying eggs and remove the heat lamp once either majority of feathers are grown in or the weather permits. If all of this sounds like I'm in the right direction please let me know and if I need to tweek some things please also let me know. I want happy healthy chickens. What do I need to put in the nesting boxes for them to lay eggs in/on and what time do I block and remove the blocks for them to lay eggs. How much space do the chickens like between them and another on the perch, how far away from walls do the perches need to be? I guess I am just looking for some guidance to where I am not in this process and to where I'm going and end up for these ladies to be happy.

Photos of build? I'd really consider eliminating some of those boxes, especially if any of them they eat up valuable floor space. You only need 1 box for every 3-4 birds.

Are all the chicks going in this coop or your son's GF taking some with her?

Rather than put the heat lamp inside it'd be better to wean them off heat in the brooder, then move them to the coop. No reason to risk burning down the new coop!

For the nests, fake eggs will show them where to lay, and you'll want to put in some padding to prevent breakage. I use a folded feed bag topped with wood shavings. I have never had to block my nests though, I've never had an issue with chicks sleeping in them. You can use plywood or cardboard to block them off if needed, and can keep them blocked until around week 14, 15 or so, to give the birds time to explore them before onset of laying.

Roosts should be at least 12" from wall, 14-16" away from another roost, and offer 12" linear space per standard size bird.

Some good info given above.

Where I live it is still not above 65 degrees so I'm guessing that the heat lamp will need to be put in the coop with them as they adjust to the coop for a couple weeks.
Heat lamps are very dangerous in a coop.
Pics of what you've got built would help immensely here.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @LaceNewb
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1617798772198.png

The usual guidelines are to have 1 linear foot of roost per adult, standard-sized hen.

Sometimes it's good to have two separate roosts or an L-shaped roost so that lower-status hens can be separate from the dominant hens. :)
Absolutely agree with more then 1 roost. I will be putting in several since I have a huge open space for them to fill

Absolutely agree with more then 1 roost. I will be putting in several since I have a huge open space for them to fill

Well, no, you might not. Now that I read this again, you're intending to put 18 birds in a 32 sq ft coop? Recommended minimum is 4 sq ft per bird and you're at 1.77 sq ft, assuming NOTHING is taking up any floor space (nests, feeder, etc). Some folks can get away with tigher quarters if the birds all get along well, but you need a back up plan in case they don't - much harder to resolve issues of discord in the flock, than heading it off in advance.

What is your climate like? If you are in a colder climate where extended cold weather is the norm, it's recommended to go even bigger, 6-8 sq ft per bird in the coop.

I will try and post a picture of the coop I have build later today. All my chicks are getting along great. No "picking" order has occurred. I live in Utah and this year it has just been crazy weather. I will have a huge outside area for them which will include dirt for them to bath in under the coop that will be off the ground and then the rest will be grass with lots of sunlight and shade. The coop itself is the 8ftx4ft and I added the nesting boxes to the outside so it wouldn't take up the actual room inside the coop. Thank you all for all your advise and I will talk with you all soon.

Back
Top Bottom