Announcement Progressive Web App - Mobile Phone

Warning to all who switch, push notifications seem to be defaulted to on. I got a whole bunch right away.
I don't think they are, because I'm pretty sure that one must first grant permission for them to be sent after pressing "Enable push notifications". Perhaps permission was previously granted in Chrome, though I'm not sure.

I don't think they are, because I'm pretty sure that one must first grant permission for them to be sent after pressing "Enable push notifications". Perhaps permission was previously granted in Chrome, though I'm not sure.
Could be, but I want getting any before. It was easily fixed.

The PWA isn't on Google Play.
I know.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I'm saying that right now while I'm on the Google Play store app I do not have the option to download the PWA. I must stop using the GPS app and go over to my browser to get to the BYC's website in order to download the PWA.

I know.
I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say.

I'm saying that right now while I'm on the Google Play store app I do not have the option to download the PWA. I must stop using the GPS app and go over to my browser to get to the BYC's website in order to download the PWA.
Ah, that makes sense! I read it the same way James did... but now I understand. You can't get the PWA option through the BYC app in the Google Play store, so you have to open BYC in a browser and then get the PWA!

:thumbsup

Ah, that makes sense! I read it the same way James did... but now I understand. You can't get the PWA option through the BYC app in the Google Play store, so you have to open BYC in a browser and then get the PWA!

:thumbsup
I thought for sure that's what I was saying the first time.
:confused:

About a different app (didn’t know where to put it). Thought it might be interesting for the moderators.

In the Netherlands they introduced an app where you can enter all you’re animals (dogs, pigs, ducks and even chickens) with some basic features like name, date of birth, father/mother, breed , a profile picture and a open textfield. Its called Anymal and is available in the app store (in Dutch).

I like it to keep track of the age and origin of my flock. I believe it’s meant to have some basic info about for a vet , if you’re animal gets sick.

Maybe an idea to make something like that for BYC? Or just wait untill its available in English too. ?

3A55E59E-0712-4F08-A9A6-05264F8B0D34.png

Last edited:
If you have an Android phone, you can now install what's called a Progressive Web App, which provides the functionality of an app, but without the issues that the previous apps have had.

In Chrome on Android, you should see a button to install it in the off-canvas menu:
View attachment 2526983
Press it, confirm that you want to install it, and then it'll be added. It'll add an icon, and allow BYC to behave like an app. You can even choose to get notifications by going to Preferences and enabling push notifications. It also works on Windows.

From @Nifty-Chicken: Thanks @CarpCharacin for getting this setup and making this post!

We'll continue to have the two "apps" (for now):
  1. The "old one" in the Google Play store - Good to have so peeps searching apps for "chickens" in the store will find BYC, but MUCH harder to keep updated as the software changes
  2. The new "PWA" one: Not available / shown in the Google Play store, but should keep updated and fast (and fewer bugs) than the old app.
From your Android phone's perspective, they are two completely separate apps. You can have one, the other, or both without any conflicts.
Did not know this. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom