Announcement Progressive Web App - Mobile Phone

Pics

CarpCharacin

Dilettante
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Aug 17, 2016
If you have an Android phone you can now install what's called a Progressive Web App, which provides the functionality of an app without the issues that the previous apps had.

In Chrome on Android, you should see a button to install it in the off-canvas menu:
Screenshot_20210212-023036.png

Press it, confirm that you want to install it, and then it'll be added. It'll add an icon and allow BYC to behave like an app. You can even choose to get notifications by going to Preferences and enabling push notifications. It also works on Windows.

From @Nifty-Chicken: Thanks @CarpCharacin for getting this setup and making this post!

We'll continue to have the two "apps" (for now):
  1. The "old one" in the Google Play store - Good to have so peeps searching apps for "chickens" in the store will find BYC, but MUCH harder to keep updated as the software changes
  2. The new "PWA" one: Not available / shown in the Google Play store, but should keep updated and fast (and fewer bugs) than the old app.
From your Android phone's perspective, they are two completely separate apps. You can have one, the other, or both without any conflicts.

Last edited:
The placement of that is super annoying to me. I'm not usually a complainer... but I hate it :rant
I don't think it gets in the way of the other buttons in the off-canvas menu. It also goes away if the PWA is installed, even if a regular browser is still being used to view the site rather than the PWA.

I don't think it gets in the way of the other buttons in the off-canvas menu. It also goes away if the PWA is installed, even if a regular browser is still being used to view the site rather than the PWA.
I must have fatter fingers than you do 😁 It's good to know it'll go away though, thanks. I'll go install it :)

IMO, the PWA is nicer to use than the previous Android app, which was built around an older version of the site.

Back
Top Bottom